Chapter Twenty Two: 01:47

y/n's PoV:

01:47

He drops you off at the apartment complex - His hand steadily holding you up, since you had too much to drink. It was freeing - No, like truly, it felt freeing to be with someone you remember so fondly and it felt nice being called Schatje again.

Max giggles: Do you even have a key?

y/n slurring some words: Yuh, I think sooo-

You dig around your purse - The keychain practically jumps out at you while you look for it. You hold it up proudly; He laughs.

Max smiles: Good- Is he up there?

y/n quietly: Yeah... He's up there.

Max softly: Hmm-

You look up at Max - Your world is spinning around your axis, while he stays stationary in front of you. His hand finds its way to your face again; He rests it on your cheek, and you tilt your head towards his strong hand, leaning into his touch. His thumb glides up and down against your skin.

Max quietly: Call me if you need me, okay?

y/n softly: I might...

Max smiles: I'll do a drink, I'll do a prison break - Whatever you need.

He leans down, pressing a delicate kiss onto your forehead.

Max whispers: Okay Schatje, it's time to go back to reality. I need to do the same.

y/n whispers: Reality, hmm?

Max sighs: Yeah...

You wrap your arms around his torso... He melts against you, holding you tightly and securely.

01:57

The lock responds to the key, magically opening the door to the place that supposedly is called home. Light meets you, instead of darkness, and you slip out of your sneakers. You drop off your purse and your phone.

Charles: Y/n?

You close your eyes in guilt.

Not communicating your needs was wrong.

Running away was wrong.

Drinking was wrong.

Calling Max was wrong.

Drinking some more was wrong.

Getting so close to Max was wrong.

Not coming "home" earlier was very wrong.

y/n: Yeah?

Slowly he emerges out of the hallway - He's in the same clothes as before. Fuck. He stayed up because of you. A mixture of relief and concern wash over his face.

Charles quietly: Did you find back okay?

You simply nod.

Charles sighs: Where were you?

You swallow harshly.

y/n quietly: Nowhere.

Charles stares at you.

Charles: I'll get you some water in case nowhere served alcohol.

Change toddler to teenager; He vanishes down the hallway again. His disappointment is eating away at you. When he returns, he simply hands you the water bottle.

Charles dryly: I need two minutes in the bedroom to change. After that it's all yours.

You just stare at him and he leaves again.

02:07

Charles opens the bedroom door, and you push yourself up from the wall that you used for some extra stability. He's in his PJ's; He's topless, only wearing the bottom half of his pyjama set.

Fuck how is he so fucking chiselled?

Charles quietly: I'll be in the living room if you need something.

You nod, as you pass him, heading into the bedroom.

y/n: Are you sure that I should take the bed?

Charles nods: Yeah, 100% sure. The couch will be fine for me.

y/n nods: Okay.

You steer towards the bathroom, when he says your name. You look over your shoulder.

Charles sighs: If you run out on me - To go and get drunk - And uhm... To go and see Max - At least don't tell me you were "nowhere". You don't need to lie to me.

Guilt floods your entire system, as he leaves the room without saying anything else. How does he even know about that?