Chapter Five: Directional Pull

Start from the beginning

"I swear." Thor spoke up.

Odin breathed out. "Do you swear to preserve the peace?"

"I swear." Thor grinned, blue eyes sparkling as the two of them ignored the agitated crowd. His own green-blue eyes swept the hall realising his plan was coming into fruition. His finger tapped against his thigh discretely as he felt a flash of worry about any guards that might get hurt by his plan. But surely, they would come out on top, they were gods, they knew the art of war since birth.

"Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of all the Realms?" Father paused and his expression fell flat as Thor seemed to ignore the words and basked in his own enthusiasm.

"I swear."

"Then on this day, I, Odin Allfather, proclaim you-"

Father suddenly paused as the air grew colder, Loki's eyes noticed how ice appeared on the large banners around the hall, creeping upwards. This was more public than he'd thought his plan would go, frowning at how the ice appeared to crackle and their breaths became visible in the air. Before he could move Sif and the Warriors three reached for their own weapons and followed Thor who raced out from the hall. He exchanged a look with mother who looked up at his father in worry before following the group. His legs quickly caught up with the group as they sped through the castle and into the depths of the palace following the trail of ice. His ears caught the sound of battle echoing through the hallways until they reached the Weapons Vault which rang eerily silent.

Thor reached the doors before all of them and swung to a stop in shock. Even though he'd planned this, Loki stared in horror at the ice covering the Vault. Most of it was shattered and already beginning to melt. Asgardian guards were encased in ice and Frost Giant remains burnt on the floor, their twisted and badly burnt bodies creating a foul scene. Loki was disturbed at how violent the Frost Giants proved to be, it had clearly been a savage battle that ended badly for all.

In the shadows a glint of silver drew his eye, the fiery glow from within the helmet casting a looming ominous glow. His eyes fell on the Casket within its hands, the light within growing fainter. "The Destroyer." Sif gasped in surprise.

"I thought it was but a legend." Volstagg drew in breath sharply in awe. But his attention was drawn to his father who had finally made his entrance, sensing Odin's presence the Destroyer set the Casket back on its pedestal and moved back into its post, sliding seamlessly into the wall.

Shifting brought his interest away as he noticed Fandral looking around the Vault ill at ease with the eagerness in the others eye, he seemed much more interested in the contents rather than the Destroyer making an appearance. "I've never been inside the Vault before. It's said the Tesseract was once held here." Rolling his eyes at Thor's friend, because of course they wouldn't be allowed in the Vault, even now they shouldn't be here. But that had never stopped them before, constantly pushing over the line of propriety.

"The Tesseract?" Volstagg muttered as Thor began walking over to their father who was now looking down at the Casket and the destruction around it. "I thought that was but a legend too!" He held in the comments he wanted to make on that one, really these idiots should have paid the slightness attention to history they would know a lot more than they currently did. The fact they were even speaking showed their opinions on the appropriateness of the situation they had pushed themselves into.

"Shush!" Sif hushed, at least she had some knowledge of customs and manners when in the presence of the King of Asgard.

"The Jotuns must pay for what they've done!" Thor cried out in anger, his hand flexed around Mjolnir tightening his grip. Alarm rang through him at how fast Thor turned to violence once again. He stepped away from Thor's friends and further into the Vault towards his family.