What's black and what's white

[Lan Wangji's POV are written in italic]

It was another long and dreadful nightmare of his. The scene that was currently displaying in Lan Wangji's view was his greatest fear. In front of him, Wei Ying was losing grip and in a dire crisis. He could not do anything to help or say anything to calm him down. Wei Ying could not see him, touch him nor hear him as he was invisible. He could only watch in despair as the person he loves went through a torturous event alone.

"Wei Wuxian, you are losing control." The whispering voice said.

Wei Ying tried to shoo the voice away, screaming at the wisps of black smog that tried to get into his head and took over his control. "Get lost! Get lost!

"Let us out. Let us help you." Multiple voices kept swirling around Wei Ying who was on the verge of breaking. The air was thick with resentment and wretchedness. His face was pallid, the rim of his eyes was reddish, and his pupil quivered.

"Get lost! Leave me alone!" He desperately attempted to chase the invisible evil tongues that were taunting him as he was grasping to the small bits and pieces of sanity he had left. His body wavered as if he was standing on a rocky boat on the violent stormy sea.

The temptation persisted. "You can only rely on..."

"Go away!" cutting the voice mid sentences, Wei Ying yelled atop his lungs. He was just a step away from losing himself and he bolted out of the woods without looking back, trying to escape from the wicked beings that danced around him with every step he took and latched onto him without his consent. His breaths were ragged and short, beads of sweats formed on his forehead.

After he sprinted down the mountain, he stood amid the scrubs, catching his breath. Bent down, he propped his hands against his knees for a long while before he stood up straight again. With a vacant expression, he started to walk wherever his feet took him. Lan Wangji kept up with his speed and halted when they reach a familiar landscape. He scanned the fortress gate that stood in front of him. It was same place Wei Ying and him was surveying at just a week ago, the Nightless city.

"Sect Leader Jin said the Four Clans will hold a mobilization meeting at Nightless city." A group of cultivators were gossiping. "They will display the Wen Clan's corpses for three days and scatter the remains of the bandit chieftains for a demonstration of justice.

Lan Wangji saw the hanging bodies of elderly men and women and it was clear as a day, those lifeless people were not cultivators. He wanted to lecture some senses into the group of people who seemed to be proud of those deliberate display of plain brutalities.

Wen clan's corpses? Which part of this was justice? These people were normal citizen.

"The Ghost general suddenly went crazy. He claimed to ask for punishment but suddenly went crazy and kill many people in Koi Tower again." Said one person.

"Luckily I wasn't there that day." Another cultivator in a cream-colored robe spoke.

"He was indeed the dog trained by Wei Wuxian. Why did Wei Wuxian make something he cannot control? He did not even think of chaining that fierce mad dog. Sooner or later, it will backfire on him. With this trend, I can say that that day is not far."

Why are they talking about Wei Ying? Ghost general?

Wei Ying creeped without a sound behind the group that was badmouthing him. He heard every word and he continued to stand motionless at the back. He looked up at the dead bodies that was dangling, and his eyes lingered at the faces that he recognized. He tried to swallow his grief that was written all over his face.