Chapter 2 - D-day

Kim Ga-eul's happiness radiated like sunlight, a beacon of anticipation that brightened his world on this particular day. What could be the cause of his exuberance? The answer lay in the significance of the present moment, the culmination of countless hours of waiting and planning. How could he not smile when today marked the genesis of his long-awaited endeavor? Furthermore, in just a few short months, or perhaps even minutes if he so desired, he would finally stand face to face with his (self-proclaimed) hyung. However, he couldn't afford to lose his composure; barging unannounced to his hyung's doorstep and casually addressing him as "Hyung" would undoubtedly earn him a one-way ticket to being mistaken for a recent escapee from a mental institution base from his words.

"-Is the weirdo... smiling?" A hushed murmur rippled through the air, followed by an incredulous gasp. Observers exchanged glances, their confusion mingling with a tinge of unease. ". . . Creepy."

Ah, yes, he had momentarily forgotten his surroundings—the confines of this school that he considered a form of mild torture. A sigh escaped his lips, a sigh laden with the weight of his true awareness: that in just a matter of minutes, this institution and the world beyond would succumb to a cataclysmic fate, consumed by an inferno of destruction that would reduce everything to ash.

While Kim Ga-eul's thoughts danced within his personal realm, he remained oblivious to the subtle distancing of his peers, who seemed to unconsciously give him a wide berth as he ambled along. Unbeknownst to him, a figure within the crowd gnashed their teeth in frustration at the sight of his radiant smile.

"I will not be accepting any late submitions from this project, not following this simple rule I gave to you, I will give you an automatic zero."

Inside the classroom, the teacher's stern admonition about impending project deadlines wafted through the air, swiftly followed by a chorus of disgruntled voices. Complaints echoed about the instructor's unforgiving nature, an indignant chorus denouncing her as the least favored pedagogue in existence. Kim Ga-eul, however, was nowhere to be found amidst the growing cacophony.

In a tableau of slumber, his head cushioned by his own arms, Kim Ga-eul embraced the comfort of sleep, seemingly impervious to the collective unrest around him. After all, when an apocalypse looms on the horizon, who could fault a weary soul for seeking respite in the realm of dreams?

But then, a voice, as rugged as an unpolished stone, shattered the tranquility of his slumber. "Hey, Kim Ga-eul." The voice carried a note of impatience, mingling with a trace of menace, its source merely steps away from the slumbering figure. The room seemed to hold its breath as Kim Ga-eul's name hung in the air, a solitary note of focus amidst the chaos.

Despite the hushed tones, the mention of his name acted as a sonorous call that reverberated through the air, an enchantment that drew the attention of all present. Whispers quelled, the atmosphere grew tense, and all eyes converged on the unfolding scene.

"Kim Ga-eul." The voice persisted, its resolve unyielding. Yet, the boy remained obstinate, his head remaining firmly planted against the refuge of his arms, the last vestiges of his dream world clinging tenaciously to his senses.

Persistence was not Sung Dea-hyun's sole trait, for as patience dwindled, a hand snaked forth, seizing a handful of Kim Ga-eul's hair. An involuntary groan escaped Kim Ga-eul's lips as pain radiated from his scalp, a stark reminder of his physical vulnerability.

In that moment, the room became a theater of torment, with Dea-hyun relishing in the discomfort he inflicted upon the monster he held captive. "Ignoring me now, you little fucker?" Dea-hyun's words dripped with malice, his grip on Kim Ga-eul's hair tightening as if to enforce his dominance.

"Ack-!" As the scene played out, the two figures locked in a silent struggle, Kim Ga-eul's laughter bubbled forth, a strange and almost haunting sound that seemed to defy the very torment he endured. A chuckle escaped his lips, "Pft-! Hahaha-!" An eerie symphony of amusement that echoed in stark contrast to his dire circumstances. His laughter was a reflection of his own thoughts, a reminder that the victory Dea-hyun sought was but a hollow illusion. "Hah-hahaha!"

Dea-hyun's ire escalated, his bewildered face contorting into a mask of fury. "What are you laughing at, you creep?" His question hung in the air, an impotent inquiry that Kim Ga-eul answered not with words, but with an enigmatic smile.

"Five...
Four...
Three...
Two...
...One."

With a quiet countdown, Kim Ga-eul's voice was the harbinger of a fate that awaited them all. In the face of imminent cataclysm, his laughter and cryptic countdown melded into a surreal symphony, a prelude to the world's upheaval that no one else could fathom.

"I'll be waiting for you, hyung."

Chapter End

Chapter End