Part 15

They were now at the trunk of the whomping willow. Harry and Sirius had a man-to-man conversation and Crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk, because Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ronclambered upward without any sound of savaging branches.
"So." Sirius said walking towards Percy. "Your Sally's son."
"Yeah." Percy said
"I knew her for a while." Sirius said quietly. "She was a great witch. So how is she?"
Percy shrugged. "She's alright. Wrote a couple of famous books and she's dating an American wizard."
"What's his name?" Sirius asked.
"Paul Blofis. Some old pureblood family in America."
Sirius stopped speaking and looked at the sky.
"Oh, my —" Hermione gasped. "He didn't take his potiontonight! He's not safe!"
"Run," Black whispered. "Run. Now."
There was a terrible snarling noise. Lupin's head was lengthening.So was his body. His shoulders were hunching. Hair was sproutingvisibly on his face and hands, which were curling into clawed paws.
Pettigrew had dived for Lupin's dropped wand. Ron, unsteadyon his bandaged leg, fell. There was a bang, a burst of light — andRon lay motionless on the ground.
"Expelliarmus!" Harry yelled, pointing his own wand at Pettigrew; Lupin's wand flew high into the air and out of sight. "Staywhere you are!" Harry shouted. But it was too late. Pettigrew had transformed into a rat and scurried through the grass.
"Sirius, he's gone, Pettigrew transformed!" Harry yelled.
Black was bleeding; there were gashes across his muzzle andback, but at Harry's words he scrambled up again, and in an instant, the sound of his paws faded as he pounded awayacross the grounds.
The threedashed over to Ron."What did he do to him?" Hermione whispered.
"I don't know, but he's fine."
Percy could hear the werewolf growl. Sirius was injured and he could feel the dementors come.
"Go to Sirius, I'll distract Lupin."
"What!" Harry said. "Percy are you..."
"Just go!" Percy ordered. And Harry and Hermione set off.
Percy eyed the werewolf. His sword won't be any use so he ran to the forests. Lupin chased after him. Percy was fast but the werewolf was faster and Lupin pounced and sunk his claws into Percy's back. They were now rolling down spinning to the ground.
Percy howled and managed to pry Lupin off. He could feel his back bleeding. Those are going to be some nasty claw marks.
They were now walking in circles. Lupin and Percy pounced at the same time. sword swings, bites and punches were exchanged. Percy, now bloody and bruised was panting. He was pinned down. With his remaining strength, he pushed Lupin off of him and he hit his head on a boulder. Lupin passed out cold.
Percy crawled away. He wanted to help Black but he was too weak. His robes were now tattered with claw marks and blood. He took some ambrosia and passed out quietly.
Percy woke up lying in the dark hospital wing. Next to him, he could make out Madam Pomfrey bending over a bed. Percy squinted. Ron's red hair was visible beneath Madam Pomfrey's arm.
"Ahh you're awake." she said briskly.
Percy tried to speak but now words came out. He also realized that his upper body has been bandaged.
Madam Pomfrey realized what happened. she gave him a glass of water and helped him drink it. She filled in on what happened. Lupin had carried him back to the castle and they were about to perform the dementor's kiss on Sirius Black. Also, the trio had left something to do with a hippogriff.  At noon, he was discharged but still wore bandages on his arms.
He found the trio with Hagrid near the grounds. Apparently Buckbeak and Black escaped and he was given a bone crushing hug by Hagrid.
Hermione also told him that with the help of a time turner, they helped free the two innocent lives. But the sad news was Professor Lupin resigned because Snape leaked to the school that he's a werewolf. So Harry set of towards Lupin's office.
Nobody at Hogwarts now knew the truth of what had happenedthe night that Sirius, Buckbeak, and Pettigrew had vanished exceptHarry, Percy, Ron, Hermione, and Professor Dumbledore. As the end ofterm approached, there were many theories about whathad really happened, but none of them came close to the truth. 
The exam results came out on the last day of term. They had passed every subject. Also Snape's behavior toward Harry over the past week had been quitealarming.
Percy had got his top-grade N.E.W.T.s; Fred and George hadscraped a handful of O.W.L.s each. Gryffindor House, meanwhile,largely thanks to their spectacular performance in the QuidditchCup, had won the House championship.
As the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station the next morning, Hermione gave Harry and Ron some surprising news.
"I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just beforebreakfast. I've decided to drop Muggle Studies."
"But you passed your exam with three hundred and twenty percent!" said Ron.
"And how am I going to copy off you," said Percy.
"I know," sighed Hermione, "but I can't stand another year like this one. That Time-Turner, it was driving me mad. I've handed in. Without Muggle Studies and Divination, I'll be able to have a normal schedule again."
"I still can't believe you didn't tell us about it," said Ron grumpily. "We're supposed to be your friends."
"I promised I wouldn't tell anyone," said Hermione severely. She looked around at Harry, who was watching Hogwarts disappear from view behind a mountain.
"Oh, cheer up, Harry!" said Hermione sadly.
"I'm okay," said Harry quickly. "Just thinking about the holidays."
"Yeah, I've been thinking about them too," said Ron. "Harry, you've got to come and stay with us. I'll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I'll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now —"
"A telephone, Ron," said Hermione. "Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year. . . ."
Ron ignored her."It's the Quidditch World Cup this summer! How about it, Harry? Come and stay, and we'll go and see it! Dad can usually get tickets from work."
"Yeah so can my mum," said Percy. "She said she got the tickets. We can all go."
"Yeah . . . I bet the Dursleys'd be pleased to let me come . . .especially after what I did to Aunt Marge. . . ."
They played a lot of games of exploding snap and when it was late in the afternoon before the thing that made him truly happy turned up. . . .
"Harry," said Hermione suddenly, peering over his shoulder."What's that thing outside your window?"
It was a tiny owl, carrying a letter thatwas much too big for it. The owl dropped its letter onto Harry's seatand began zooming around their compartment, apparently verypleased with itself for accomplishing its task.
Hedwig and Athena clicked their beaks with a sort of dignified disapproval. Crookshanks sat up in hisseat, following the owl with his great yellow eyes.
Ron, noticingthis, snatched the owl safely out of harm's way.Harry picked up the letter. It was addressed to him. He rippedopen the letter, and shouted,
"It's from Sirius!"
"What?" said Percy, Ron and Hermione excitedly. "Read it aloud!"
Dear Harry,
I hope this finds you before you reach your aunt and uncle.I don't know whether they're used to owl post.
Buckbeak and I are in hiding. I won't tell you where, incase this owl falls into the wrong hands. I have some doubtabout his reliability, but he is the best I could find, and he didseem eager for the job.
I believe the dementors are still searching for me, but theyhaven't a hope of finding me here. I am planning to allow someMuggles to glimpse me soon, a long way from Hogwarts, sothat the security on the castle will be lifted.
There is something I never got around to telling youduring our brief meeting. It was I who sent you the Firebolt —
"Ha!" said Hermione triumphantly. "See! I told you it was fromhim!"
"Yes, but he hadn't jinxed it, had he?" said Ron. "Ouch!" Thetiny owl had nibbled one of hisfingers in what it seemed to think was an affectionate way.
"But we didn't know it then." Percy said. "Keep reading Harry."
Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I usedyour name but told them to take the gold from my ownGringotts vault. Please consider it as thirteen birthdays' worthof presents from your godfather
I would also like to apologize for the fright I think I gaveyou that night last year when you left your uncle's house. I hadonly hoped to get a glimpse of you before starting my journeynorth, but I think the sight of me alarmed you
I am enclosing something else for you, which I think willmake your next year at Hogwarts more enjoyable.
If ever you need me, send word. Your owl will find me.
I'll write again soon.
Sirius
There was anotherpiece of parchment in there
I, Sirius Black, Harry Potter's godfather, hereby give himpermission to visit Hogsmeade on weekends.
"That'll be good enough for Dumbledore!" said Harry happily.He looked back at Sirius's letter
"Hang on, there's a P.S. . . ."
I thought your friend Ron might like to keep this owl, as it'smy fault he no longer has a rat.
Ron's eyes widened. The minute owl was still hooting excitedly.
"Keep him?" he said uncertainly. He looked closely at the owlfor a moment; then, to their surprise heheld him out for Crookshanks to sniff.
"What do'you reckon?" Ron asked the cat. "Definitely an owl?"
Crookshanks purred.
"That's good enough for me," said Ron happily. "He's mine."
Harry read and reread the letter from Sirius all the way back intoKing's Cross station. As the four stepped back through the barrier of platformnine and three-quarters. He spotted his mum and hugged her.
"I'll call about the World Cup!" Ron yelled as he left. He said goodbye to Harry and Hermione as he sat their waiting for Grover and was about to take a dip to the Labyrinth, find Calypso and encounter one of the greatest engineers of all time.