Part 11

Harry's euphoria at finally winning the Quidditch Cuplasted at least a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached, the days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling onto the grounds and flopping down on the grass. But they couldn't. Exams were nearly upon them, Percy was constantly locking him up himself day and night studying. But with his ADHD, it wasn't an easy task. But he still tried and lost quick of time so easily that the trio had actually started to bring him a plate of food and remind him it was night. If Annabeth was here, she would've laughed at this.
"Hermione?" Ron said cautiously because she was liable to explode when interrupted these days. "Er — are you sure you've copied down these times right?"
"What?" snapped Hermione, picking up the exam schedule and examining it. "Yes, of course, I have."
"Is there any point asking how you're going to sit for two exams at once?" said Harry.
"No," said Hermione shortly. "Have either of you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"
"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," said Ron, but very quietly.
Just then, there was a rustle at the window and Hedwig fluttered through it, a note clutched tight in her beak.
"It's from Hagrid," said Harry, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal — it's set for the sixth."
"That's the day we finish our exams," said Hermione, still looking everywhere for her Arithmancy book.
"And they're coming up here to do it," said Harry, still reading from the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and — and an executioner."
Hermione looked up, startled."They're bringing the executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!"
Yeah, it does," said Harry slowly.
"They can't!" Ron howled. "I've spent ages reading up on stuff for him; they can't just ignore it all!"
But Percy had a horrible feeling that the Committee for theDisposal of Dangerous Creatures had had its mind made up for itby Mr. Malfoy. Draco, who had been noticeably subdued sinceGryffindor's triumph in the Quidditch final, seemed to regainsome of his old swaggers over the next few days. And the worst thing of all was that they had no time or opportunity to go and see Hagrid, because the strict new security measureshad not been lifted, and Harry didn't dare retrieve his InvisibilityCloak from below the one-eyed witch.
Exam week began and an unnatural hush fell over the castle. Thethird years emerged from Transfiguration at lunchtime on Monday,limp and ashen-faced, comparing results and bemoaning the difficulty of the tasks they had been set, which had included turning ateapot into a tortoise. Hermione irritated the rest by fussing abouthow her tortoise had looked more like a turtle, which was the leastof everyone else's worries.
"Mine still had a spout for a tail, what a nightmare. . . ."
"Were the tortoises supposed to breathe steam?"
"It still had a willow-patterned shell, d'you think that'll count against me?"
Then, after a hasty lunch, it was straight back upstairs for theCharms exam and they were tested on cheering charms. Percy slightly overdid his and had to lead a giggling Hermione to an empty classroom. But Flitcwick, instead of being disappointed, was amused and gave full marks to him. After dinner, the students hurried back to their common rooms, not to relax, but to start studying for Care of Magical Creatures, Potions,and Astronomy.
Hagrid presided over the Care of Magical Creatures exam thefollowing morning with a very preoccupied air indeed; his heartdidn't seem to be in it at al . He had provided a large tub of freshflobberworms for the class, and told them that to pass the test,their flobberworm had to still be alive at the end of one hour.As flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, itwas the easiest exam any of them had ever taken, and also gave Harry, Percy, Ron, and Hermione plenty of opportunity to speak toHagrid.
"Beaky's gettin' a bit depressed," Hagrid told them "Bin cooped up too long. But still . . . we'll know day aftertomorrow — one way or the other —"
They had Potions that afternoon and Percy and Hermione passed it with flying colors. Although Harry couldn't get his to thicken and Ron. . . lets not talk about him.
Then came Astronomy at midnight, up on the tallest tower;History of Magic on Wednesday morning
Wednesday afternoon meant Herbology, in the greenhouses undera baking-hot sun; then back to the common room once more, withsunburnt necks, thinking longingly of this time next day, when itwould all be over.
Their second to last exam, on Thursday morning, was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of them had ever taken; a sort of obstacle courseoutside in the sun, where they had to wade across a deep paddlingpool containing a grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of RedCaps, squish their way across a patch of marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunkand battle with a new boggart
"Excellent, Percy," Lupin muttered as Percy climbed out of thetrunk, grinning. "Full marks."
"Thanks Moony." Percy whispered and to his delight even Harry got full marks.
Ron did very well until he reached the hinkypunk,which successfully confused him into sinking waist-high into thequagmire. Hermione did everything perfectly until she reached thetrunk with the boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, sheburst out again, screaming.
"Hermione!" said Lupin, startled. "What's the matter?"
"P — P — Professor McGonagall!" Hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "Sh — she said I'd failed everything!"
It took a little while to calm Hermione down. When at last shehad regained a grip on herself, she, Harry, and Ron went back tothe castle. Ron was still slightly inclined to laugh at Hermione'sboggart, but an argument was averted by the sight that met themon the top of the steps.
Cornelius Fudge, sweating slightly in his pinstriped cloak, wasstanding there staring out at the grounds. He started at the sight ofHarry.
"Hello there, Harry!" he said. "Just had an exam, I expect?Nearly finished?"
"Yes," said Harry. Hermione, Percy and Ron, not being on speakingterms with the Minister of Magic, hovered awkwardly in the background.
"Lovely day," said Fudge, casting an eye over the lake."Pity . . . pity . . ."
He sighed deeply and looked down at Harry.
"I'm here on an unpleasant mission, Harry. The Committee for
the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures required a witness to the execution of a mad hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to checkon the Black situation, I was asked to step in."
"Does that mean the appeal's already happened?" Ron interrupted, stepping forward.
"No, no, it's scheduled for this afternoon," said Fudge, lookingcuriously at Ron.
"Then you might not have to witness an execution at all!" saidRon stoutly. "The hippogriff might get off!"
Before Fudge could answer, two wizards came through the castledoors behind him. One was so ancient he appeared to be witheringbefore their very eyes; the other was tall and strapping, with a thinblack mustache. It seems they had already made the decision.
"Dear, dear, I'm getting too old for this. . . . Twoo'clock, isn't it, Fudge?"
The black-mustached man was fingering something in his belt;Harry looked and saw that he was running one broad thumb alongthe blade of a shining axe. Percy opened his mouth to say something, but Hermione nudged him hard in the ribs and jerked herhead toward the entrance hall.
"Why'd you stop me?" said Percy angrily as they entered the GreatHall for lunch. "Did you see them? They've even got the axe ready!This isn't justice!"
"Percy, your mum may lose her job if you say anything to the minister of magic!" said Hermione, but she too lookedvery upset. "As long as Hagrid keeps his head this time, and argueshis case properly, they can't possibly execute Buckbeak. . . ."
All around them, people were talking excitedly as they atetheir lunch, happily anticipating the end of the exams that afternoon, but Harry, Percy, Ron, and Hermione, lost in worry about Hagridand Buckbeak, didn't join in. Harry's and Ron's last exam was Divination; Percy's and Hermione's,Muggle Studies
It was quite boring as it was only a theoretical test. They had to fill in the blanks, Write instructions on how to use devices and the main one: How to call a muggle. Although Percy thinks he did well, Hermione shook her head.
But Buckbeak's execution was going to happen. Percy Ron and Hermione sat down depressed at what they had just heard. Harry then came in sweating.
Professor Trelawney," Harry panted, "just told me —"
But he stopped abruptly at the sight of their faces.
"Buckbeak lost," said Ron weakly. "Hagrid's just sent this."
Hagrid's note was dry this time, no tears had splattered it, yet his hand seemed to have shaken so much as he wrote that it was hardly legible.
Lost appeal.
They're going to execute at sunset.
Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want
you to see it
Hagrid
"We've got to go," said Harry at once. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"
"Sunset, though," said Ron, who was staring out the window ina glazed sort of way. "We'd never be allowed . . . 'specially you, Harry. . . ."
Harry sank his head into his hands, thinking."If we only had the Invisibility Cloak. . . ."
"Where is it?" said Hermione. Harry told her about leaving it in the passageway under the one-eyed witch.
Percy sprinted out of the common room and returned a quarter of an hour later with the silvery cloak folded carefully under his robes.
They went down to dinner with everybody else but did not return to Gryffindor Tower afterwards. Harry had the cloak hidden down the front of his robes.
They heard the last pair of people hurrying across the hall and a door slamming. Hermione poked her head around the door.
"Okay," Hermione whispered, "no one there — cloak on —"
Walking very close together so that nobody would see them, they crossed the hall on tiptoe beneath the cloak, then walked down the stone front steps into the grounds. The sun was already sinking behind the Forbidden Forest, gilding the top branches of the trees.
They reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked. He was a minute in answering, and when he did, he looked all around for his visitor, pale-faced and trembling.
"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Letus in and we can take it off."
"Yeh should've come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back, and they stepped inside. Hagrid shut the door quickly and Harry and Percy pulled off the cloak and cap.
Hagrid was not crying, nor did he throw himself upon their necks. He looked like a man who did not know where he was or what to do.
"Wan' some tea?" he said. His great hands were shaking as he reached for the kettle.
"Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?" said Hermione hesitantly.
"I — I took him outside," said Hagrid, spilling milk all over the table as he filled up the jug. "He's tethered in my pumpkin patch. Thought he oughta see the trees an' — an' smell fresh air —before —"
Hagrid's hand trembled so violently that the milk jug slipped from his grasp and shattered all over the floor.
"I'll do it, Hagrid," said Hermione quickly, hurrying over and starting to clean up the mess.
"There's another one in the cupboard," Hagrid said, sitting down and wiping his forehead on his sleeve.
"Isn't there anything anyone can do, Hagrid?" Harry asked fiercely, sitting down next to him. "Dumbledore —"
"He's tried," said Hagrid. "He's got no power ter overrule the committee. He told 'em Buckbeak's all right but they're scared. . . . Yeh know what Lucius Malfoy's like . . . threatened 'em, I expect . . . an' the executioner, Macnair, he's an old pal o' Malfoy's . . . but it'll be quick an' clean . . . an' I'll be beside him. . . ."
Hagrid swallowed. His eyes were darting all over the cabin as though looking for some shred of hope or comfort."Dumbledore's gonna come down while it — while it happens. Wrote to me this mornin'. Said he wants ter — ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore. . . ."
Hermione let out a small, quickly stifled sob. She straightened up with the new jug in her hands, fighting back tears.
"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Hermione said.
"Yeah. We will." Percy approved
Hagrid shook his shaggy head."You're ter go back up ter the castle. I told yeh, I don' wan' yehwatchin'. An' yeh shouldn' be down here anyway. . . . If Fudge an'Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, Harry, yeh'll be in big trouble."
Silent tears were now streaming down Hermione's face, but she hid them from Hagrid, bustling around making tea. Then, as she picked up the milk bottle to pour some into the jug, she let out a shriek.
"Ron! I — I don't believe it — it's Scabbers!"
Ron gaped at her.
"What are you talking about?"
Hermione carried the milk jug over to the table and turned it upside down. With a frantic squeak, and much scrambling to get back inside, Scabbers the rat came sliding out onto the table.
"Scabbers!" said Ron blankly. "Scabbers, what are you doing here?"
He grabbed the struggling rat and held him up to the light. Scabbers looked dreadful. He was thinner than ever, large tufts of hair had fallen out leaving wide bald patches,
"It's okay, Scabbers!" said Ron. "No cats! There's nothing here to hurt you!"
Hagrid suddenly stood up, his eyes fixed on the window. "They're comin'. . . ."
They turned around. A group of men was walking down the distant castle steps. In front was AlbusDumbledore, his silver beard gleaming in the dying sun. Next to him trotted Cornelius Fudge. Behind them came the feeble old committee member and the executioner, Macnair." Yeh gotta go," said Hagrid. Every inch of him was trembling. "They must' find yeh here. . . . Go now. . . ."
Ron stuffed Scabbers into his pocket and Hermione picked up the cloak.
"I'll let yeh out the back way," said Hagrid.
"It's okay, Beaky," said Hagrid softly. "It's okay . . ."
He turned to them. "Go on," he said. "Get goin'."
But they didn't move."Hagrid, we can't —"
"We'll tell them what really happened —"
"They can't kill him —"Go!" said Hagrid fiercely. "It's bad enough without you lot in trouble an' all!"
They had no choice. As Hermione threw the cloak over Harry and Ron and Percy wore his cap.
They heard voices at the front of the cabin. Hagrid looked at the place where they had just vanished from sight.
"Go quick," he said hoarsely. "Don' listen. . . ." And he strode back into his cabin.
Harry, Percy, Ron, and Hermione set off silently around Hagrid's house. As they reached the other side, the front door closed with a sharp snap.
"Please, let's hurry," Hermione whispered. "I can't stand it, I can't bear it. . . ."
They started up the sloping lawn toward the castle. The sun was sinking fast now; the sky had turned to a clear, purple-tinged grey, but to the west, there was a ruby-red glow.
Ron stopped dead.
"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.
"It's Scabbers — he won't — stay put —"
Ron was bent over, trying to keep Scabbers in his pocket, but that was going berserk; squeaking madly, twisting and flailing, trying to sink his teeth into Ron's hand.
"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," Ron hissed.
They heard a door open behind them and men's voices.
"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Hermione breathed.
"Okay — Scabbers, stay put —"
They walked forward; Harry, like Hermione, was trying not to listen to the rumble of voices behind them. Ron stopped again.
"I can't hold him — Scabbers, shut up, everyone hears us —"
The rat was squealing wildly, but not loudly enough to cover up the sounds drifting from Hagrid's garden. There was a jumble of indistinct male voices, a silence, and then, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.
Hermione swayed on the spot." They did it!" she whispered to Harry. "I d — don't believe it —they did it!