Ross suddenly slipped and he grabbed my arm to balance himself, his feet still jerking crazily in all directions. I gripped his other arm to steady him and he grinned at me in thanks. We were both panting for air and our breaths rose together up into the grey sky, weaving in and out of one another. I wondered what array of atoms and cells they would form next, if they'd ever return to our bodies again. Ross coughed at the back of his throat and I lowered my gaze to his. His eyelashes were dotted with tiny little snowflakes and his nose was turning red.  And before I could stop to think, I threw my arms around his shoulders and pulled him into my chest, gripping his back tightly.

"Merry Christmas Ross" I whispered.

"But it's only November Ste-"

I cut him off by pulling away from him and pouting, crossing my arms for extra effect. He rolled his eyes and grinned at me.

"Fine...Merry Christmas Stella!"

I giggled and went to pull him in for another hug, blurting out as I did, "And a Happy New Year!"

I immediately tensed up, wishing I could kick myself for being so stupid. Wishing someone a Happy New Year and standing this close to them was really not a good idea. Ross seemed to notice too, and he awkwardly avoided my gaze, his arms still slung loosely around my waist. And as the balcony door slid open, making us jump apart, all I could think was 'Thank you God for Pete O' Hanlon!'

He stood in the doorway in nothing but his briefs, a toothbrush dangling from his mouth. He blinked in the blinding brightness before making his way over to the edge of the balcony. He began to brush his teeth ferociously, gargling every few seconds. I glanced at Ross, who just shrugged at me in bemusement. Finally, Pete leant over the edge and spat, turning to face us once he was finished.

"Oh, good morning to yee's! Didn't see ye there" he said, but the smirk on his face let us know that he had of course seen us. I desperately needed to say something to break the unbearable silence but someone beat me to it.

"Oi! Who the fuck just spat all over me?"

All three of us froze in shock, our heads slowly turning towards the street below. Pete's eyes were wide as orbs as realisation dawned on him and he slowly poke his head out over the edge.

" Ah I'm really sorry about that sir, I was just brushing me teeth! I didn't actually mean to-"

"You little Irish bastard! Do you know how much I paid to have this suit dry cleaned? A fuckload! That's how much!"

"Oh jesus" Pete muttered. "Oh fuck...I mean sorry! I really am sorry sir but like at least it's only toothpaste! Sure you'll be smelling minty fresh for the rest of the day!"

I snorted. Pete shot me a glare as I covered my mouth, hoping to god that the man hadn't heard me. But, of course he had.

"What? You think this is funny? You little thundercunt!"

I bolted for the edge of the balcony so fast that Ross and Pete had to grab my legs so that I didn't flip over the side. The man below took a few steps back onto the road, raising his eyebrows in frustration.

"Hey mister, you don't call my friend a thundercunt, you...you scruffy looking jizz fan!"

Ross gasped and Pete hurriedly pulled me back over and rushed me inside, howling with laughter once the door was shut behind us. Evan, who was sitting at the table reading the paper, looked up with only mild interest before turning back to the headlines. I looked down at my bare legs which were slowly turning purple and grimaced.

"You're frozen" Ross exclaimed and he grabbed the blanket from the sofa and wrapped it around my shoulders. He gave my arms a rub in an attempt to warm me up and I was just beginning to feel my legs again when Eloise came dashing out of the bedroom, fear etched across her face. She caught my eye and raced over, pushing Ross out of the way in the process.