Chapter Twenty Three

A/N: Sorry this update took forever! I had to think long and hard on how I wanted to do it...If it helps, you can picture me going on a long agonizing vision quest alone in the woods until I had my epiphany about the chapter.

Or, you could just...not do that. Lol. Oh boy, I'm a strange one.

Xoxoxoxo
-Railene :) 

Jessica - Wednesday, 1:30pm. 

After I left Shay in the hallway, I didn't know what to do. I thought that after I'd confronted her, I'd feel good. I'd feel empowered. I'd feel relieved.

But I didn't. All I felt was awful, sick, and lonely.

I wandered the hallways for a while, unsure of what to do. I couldn't go back to my room, because in all likelihood, Allie would be there, and she would want to know why I was crying, and what could I say? I've been hooking up with your sister, she made me fall for her, she took my virginity, I lied to keep it from you, you opened your mouth about that lie, and then she cheated on me so now I'm an emotional wreck. Have a nice day?

Out of the question. Even if Shay and I were ancient history, even if this week was something to never be repeated, even if she and I never spoke again, Allie could never find out about any of it. And that all just reminded me of Rihannon's lasting ultimatum. If I knew anything about her, it was that she was characteristically impetuous, and there was no knowing what she'd do, or if she'd tell, or when she'd tell.

Not wanting to find out, I resolved to go back to the studio. 

There were no more lessons until mine, at 4:30, and I figured I would stay right through. Because Rihannon had, after all, never evaluated my fabled 30 turns, and I figured until then it was just a ticking time bomb. I put my shoes back on and propelled myself into a turn. Channelling all my anger into it, just as I always did.

Shay - Wednesday, 1:30pm.

I tried to follow Jessica after she left me, but she went too fast and I lost track of her. All that I knew was that wherever she went, I had to find her. I wasn't done with her yet. I was going to make it right, if I died trying.

I tried the dining hall, but it had long since been deserted. Taking a risk, I climbed the stairs up to her room, because there were only so many places she could be. I tried the doorknob without knocking, knowing that even if I did, she wouldn't let me in. No, I had to take charge.

I twisted it, and I felt the tumblers inside give way. It was unlocked. I stepped in. But inside, I didn't see Jessica. Just Allie. On top of Matthew. Making out.

"Oh, my God," was all I said. I couldn't really move. I was just, kind of...paralyzed.

"Shay!" Allie screamed, jumping off of her bed and onto the floor. "What do you want?"

"Jessica," I answered, before I could realize exactly what I was saying. "Where is she?"

"I don't know," she retorted, somewhat indignantly, but still obviously shocked. Not quite as shocked as I was, but I had bigger things on my mind.

"You haven't seen her at all?"

"No," she said. "She skipped lunch today and yesterday to go practice."

"Practice what?"

"Dance!" 

She obviously just wanted me to leave.

"Do you think that's where she is?"

"I don't know. I guess."

"Okay," I said, looking at them both, just feeling really weird. "Thanks. And...um...be...safe."