Chapter 12: Ball of Fire

Start from the beginning

I reached up and grabbed his neck, making him pause for a few seconds. I squeezed harder and harder until he stopped hitting me and was gripping at my arm. I didn't know how much longer I could hold on considering there was too much damage and pain that my body was in. I couldn't feel his fire much on my arm from where he was grabbing it. Maybe he didn't want to hurt me anymore. I started to slowly let go just as Justin was grabbed by another fire elemental and I was being cooled down by the school nurse. The crowd started to disperse once they saw the principal and security arrive The bell rang and all the stragglers left once the security guards threatened detention.

I propped myself up on my elbows and tried to see if I still had my pants on. Surprisingly, they were only burned in a few places and I silently breathed a breath of relief at that. The ground around me had scorch marks and some blood which I hoped wasn't mine. My body was in terrible shape, but it was slowly healing. 

"Both of you go to the nurse's office and then go home! You're suspended for the rest of the day." Principal Voss said, looking at us both in disappointment and anger. 

Justin's fire slowly dwindled, leaving him shirtless. He was panting heavily and I knew he was probably as tired as I am, but most likely less. He sat down for a bit and sighed. I swallowed and let the nurse help me up. Danny flicked Justin's forehead and he scrunched up his face. I wobbled past them as he grabbed her hand and put it to his forehead. There was something going on there. 

As we walked into the school and down the hall, I realized I had wasted some time. I needed to apologize to Francine for overreacting over what happened with Justin. I knew what class she had next, so maybe I would wait for her outside. I took a look inside her class, but didn't see her anywhere. I frowned and turned back to where we were going as the nurse pushed me into the room. Maybe Ashley would know. Ashley... where'd Francine go? I asked in our sibling mind link. I'm in the middle of a presentation right now! She groaned and I sighed, sitting down. Just tell me, please. There was a pause. I don't know, she went home with some boy. I froze and checked the clock. It was one thirty-six. That must've meant she's been gone for over an hour.

Who was this guy? Justin cleared his throat as he stared at me, smirking. We started glaring at each other with Danny glancing between the two of us as the nurse gave us something to speed up our healing. I still wanted to kick his ass, but after that ordeal in the courtyard my muscles were straining to even keep me upright. I gulped down the bitter medicine and set the cup down, not taking my eyes off of him. He rolled his eyes and leaned against Danny. I lied down on the bed, thinking about going to Francine's house now that I knew she wasn't here.

"Once you feel up to it, you both are free to leave. No more fighting either." The nurse said, placing a bandage on my right hand. 

Her brown skin shimmered as she moved and had a light green tattoo running from her hand and coiled around her left arm. I glanced up at her hair to see it was green also and... moving. Her eyes were a piercing silver but when she met my gaze, it was obvious they wouldn't turn me to stone unless she wanted to. Must be a descendant of Medusa. She smiled and went back to her desk, typing on her computer. I grabbed one of the extra shirts that were on the table and slipped it on. I stood up and thanked the nurse before leaving.

I walked down the hallway and let out a breath. Footsteps sounded and I tilted my head to see Danny and Justin.

"Hey, I'm-" Justin started and I put up a hand to stop him.

"I know. I read your thoughts and... I'm sorry too." I stopped walking and smiled back at him. He chuckled and reached out his hand. I shook it and hugged him.

When he pulled away, he was fidgeting with his shirt and huffing. The shirt fit him perfectly though. I raised an eyebrow and he looked up at me.

"Oversized shirts help me feel better in case of my fire. Plus, Danny-"