03| NIGHT SWIMS

03| NIGHT SWIMS

[ Chapter Three ]

❝That was before I accompanied Conrad to those things and realized how bad they actually were.❞

[Summer House]

>> >> >>

After dinner, Samantha had gone back to her room, to put on her swimsuit for a night swim.

Night swims had been Belly and Samantha's thing since they were young. Sometimes they swam at night together but tonight Samantha hadn't talked to her since dinner and she put on her favorite one-piece before grabbing a towel and leaving her room.

She could hear the shower running and figured it was one of the boys getting ready for their night out. The boys planned on going to a bonfire further down the beach, but Samantha and Belly hadn't been invited. Samantha was being ignored again, just as Samantha had predicted.

But for some reason she didn't mind as much as she thought.

She tiptoed past the other rooms, not really wanting anyone invading the peace that she gained by swimming at night.

Laurel, Susannah and Anna were in the kitchen cleaning up and waved at Samantha as she went past.

The backyard was quiet, the only sounds were the bugs and the wind in the trees. Samantha set her towel on a chair, before diving into the still pool. Her splash echoed off the outside walls of the house, shattering the peaceful silence for a moment. She started swimming the length of the pool, getting lost in her thoughts.

When she finally decided to take a break and come up for air, she noticed she wasn't alone. She brushed her hair out of her face and focused on Conrad who was sitting on the other end of the pool, with his legs in the water, smoking.

"Hi?" Conrad said, but it came out as a sort of question.

Samantha treaded water as her eyes flickered from the joint he was smoking up to his eyes, "I thought you said smoking pot changes the way your brain processes information?"

His face betrayed no emotion but his eyes locked on hers as he said, "So does your cellphone."

"You said that marijuana messes with white matter. You said that our brains are still developing and that-"

"God do you memorize every single thing that I've ever said?" Conrad interrupted, a smile on his face.

"Screw you." Samantha broke eye contact, disappearing beneath the surface of the water.