Part 1

Ah, this was seriously an awkward position.

Kim Roksu wasn't the sort of person who liked to make things complicated. The best solution to any problem was the simplest one. If he could solve multiple problems in one go, that was even better. He didn't actually consider combining solutions to be complicating matters, he thought of it as simplifying it and decreasing his overall workload.

He was just one of those effortlessly complicated people who wouldn't know simplicity if it bit him in the ass.

But his sensibilities normally caused him to avoid complicated situations that might be bothersome. Anything that was awkward was labeled as complicated and therefore, not something he wanted to deal with.

His 'simple' solution to his current problem wasn't quite panning out though.

"Uncle Han! Over here!" Jungsu waved enthusiastically to his uncle with a wide grin on his face. Kim Roksu sipped his beer and didn't look up to see the approaching man. His mind's eye had already provided an image and he didn't need more.

Choi Han was a kind man in his mid-fifties. A few gray hairs just beginning to make their home on his head, crows feet wrinkles around the eyes, and a pure smile that made him look at least ten years younger just because of how sweet he appeared.

He was Choi Jungsu's uncle and Jungsu was Roksu's best friend. In an ideal world, Roksu would never spend much time at all with some uncle who was more than twice his age. What could they possibly have in common? Even if he was Jungsu's beloved uncle, that didn't mean that Roksu needed to spare him with even a passing greeting.

Ah, this would all be so much easier if Choi Han was some annoying old goat who treated age like a valid excuse for being a piece of shit. Kim Roksu was all about respecting his elders but people like that were hardly worth his time.

It would be easier if Choi Han didn't have a sweet smile that could light up a room.

Kim Roksu rested his cheek in the palm of his hand as he watched Choi Han take the seat beside his nephew, the pair exchanging enthusiastic and happy greetings before Choi Han turned his terminally adorable smile towards Roksu.

"It's been awhile." He said, looking for all the world like he was a little sad over the amount of time between meetings. Kim Roksu wanted to roll his eyes. It had only been about a month. "How are you doing?"

"Fine." Kim Roksu said shortly, turning his attention back to the cooking meat between them.

Really. It had only been about a month.

So why did Kim Roksu have to be so stupidly happy to meet with him again?

"How is your new novel going?"

Kim Roksu let out a ragged sigh. "Do me a favor and please inform your venerable grandfather that his deadlines are irrational and I want to quit."

It would also be a lot easier if Kim Roksu's career wasn't tied up with the Choi family.

There was just no escaping from this awkward mess.

Choi Jungsu was his best friend.

Choi Jung Gun was the chief editor at the publishing company that Kim Roksu reluctantly worked for.

And Choi Han...

Well, how exactly did he go about explaining his connection to Choi Han?

The middle aged man chuckled at his reply. "I'll be sure to pass along the message. Although, I can't guarantee that it will mean much to him."