Chapter 6: Beware, the Light

Start from the beginning

Owen's friend let go of Connor and took a step back. "Uh, nothing."

Ms. Lightbody wasn't convinced.

"Principal's office," she said, icy-blue eyes darting between the friends. "Both of you."

The other friend pointed to himself. "Me?"

"Did I stutter?"

Cursing under their breaths, Owen's friends did as they were told. The one who'd pinned Connor snuck a dirty look at him, as if to say he wasn't finished.

Ms. Lightbody turned to Layla and Connor, and she smiled. "Off to class, you two."

Before they split, Connor whispered "art studio" to Layla. Another thing to dread.

Other students talked and cast glances, but nobody really confronted Layla and inquired about the Shadowman—she didn't give them the chance, ignoring and walking away on instinct. Most people had never cared to notice her prior, and those who had noticed her had simply remarked her alternative, somewhat witchy fashion sense. Their comments hadn't been negative, but they'd come from people who hadn't dressed like her. Layla hadn't dealt with bullies since she'd been expelled from her last school after having broken one's nose, even though the bully, another girl, had taken the first swing.

On her way to the art studio, Ben Montgomery called out to Layla in the crowded hall, but she ignored him, speeding up her walk. Unfortunately, he was persistent and managed to catch up with her, daring to touch her shoulder. Layla froze up.

"Hey," Ben said, "sorry, I just want to know who that guy was at my party last night—you know, the guy who carried you out?"

Layla bit her lip, forcing a smile. "It's a secret. Can't tell, sorry."

She brushed past him, but Ben followed her.

"A secret?" he said. "Wait, that guy wasn't, like, a celebrity or anything, was he?"

"No," Layla said. "Now, if you don't mind, I gotta be somewhere."

Layla hurried down the hall before Ben could ask any more questions.

Entering the art studio was slightly more anxiety-inducing than when Layla had pushed through the school doors. This time, however, was like walking into a courtroom. The Midnight Society regarded her with looks that said "guilty." Connor was glaring at her, his dark look reminding her of his shadow-twin. Layla took a seat and told them everything.

"He what?" Connor said. "You—oh my god!" He ran both hands through his hair. "I'm going to get killed, thanks to you both!"

"No, you won't," Layla said. "I'll know if Owen's idiot friends try to mess with you."

"How? What, are you escorting me to and from school every day?"

"On second thought," Layla said, mind bubbling with a rather sinister idea, "I could ask the Shadowman to—"

"No!" Connor said. "Don't ask the Shadowman to do anything! You've done enough damage!"

"Oh, come on! Nobody got hurt—I mean, I guess Owen sort of did, but he wouldn't leave me alone and was, like, all toxic masculinity. He deserved it."

Out of everyone, Hanna shrugged in reluctant agreement.

"So, you let my evil twin act out," Connor said, "and now everyone thinks I can take guys like Owen Torres with no effort. Great, thanks a lot."

"Layla," Luke said, "Connor's right. Regardless, what you did was wrong and it's cost him his safety."

"I told you," Layla said, "the Shadowman can take care of it, and no one has to get hurt—just have a few nightmares."