Nai Peedhi-New Generation

Start from the beginning

"Ye kya hai Preeti Bhabhi? Us ladaki ka kya hua jise ham jaanate the jo kabhee dayaalu, milanasaar aur chatur thi? Yah aap hi the jo chaahate the ki aapaki beti buddhimaan ho. Aapako us par garv karane kee zaroorat hai(What is this, Preeti bhabhi? What happened to the girl we knew who was once kind, outgoing, and smart? It was you who want for your daughter to be intelligent. You need to be proud of her.)" "Vinod, main ab vah ladaki nahi rahi jo pahale hua karati thi(Vinod, I am not the girl I used to be)", Preeti said with a sigh. "Apane kiradaar ke maamale mein main paripakv ho gaya hoon. Haalaanki mujhe nissandeh us par garv hai, lekin use graameen jeevan mein dhalane kee zaroorat hai jaisa ki sthaaneey logon ne hamen karane ka nirdesh diya hai. Aisa koi raasta nahi hai ki vah khud surakshit rahegi, aur hum Mumbai lautane mein asamarth hain(In terms of my character, I've matured. Although I am undoubtedly proud of her, she needs to adapt to rural life as the locals have instructed us to do. There is no way she will be safe by herself, and we are unable to return to Mumbai.)" Priya, furious at her mother's rejection, dashes into her room and weeps. She spent the entire night starving and kept to herself. The door opened the next morning. "Sweetie, I'm sorry I was too harsh with you. Main ise sveekaar karane se bahut dar raha tha, lekin ab main aapaka drshtikon samajh gaya hoon. Tum ja sakate ho(I was too afraid to admit it, but now I see your point of view. You may leave.)" Priya jumped for joy and gave her mother a big embrace. "You mean, Mom! You are the best." Preeti shoves her after giggling. "I know. Apane pahale din ke liye taiyaar ho jaie, jo kal hai. Tumhe meri praarthanaon mein jagah milegi.( Please get ready for your first day, which is tomorrow. You will be in my prayers.)" Priya rides the bus to campus on her first day of university. It was really crowded and different from her usual home. The jocks, nerds, athletes, and CCP (cute, cool, popular) girls were present. She was aware that she belonged to none of them and was simply a dork. She excelled in her academics but tended to be more reserved. Within the first week, she had not even established any friendships. On the weekend, she bangs against the door and collapses face-first onto her pillow when she gets home. "Mujhe lagata hai ki aapaka din badhiya nahi raha, Pru(I guess you didn't have a wonderful day, Pru.)" She nods while Sapna firmly grips her. "Mujhe aisa lagata hai jaise main vahaan ka hoon hi nahi. Tina naam ki ek ladaki thi jo sabhi CCP ladakiyon mein se sabase kharaab thee, aur unamen se adhikaansh apriy theen. Vah mere andar tak napharat karati thi. Main sirph ek dork hoon, aur mera koi dost nahi hai.(I feel as though I don't belong there. There was one girl named Tina who was the worst of all the CCP girls, and the majority of them were unpleasant. She hated the very core of me. I am just a dork, and I have no friends at all.)" As she recalled her first week, Sapna recognized her perspective. "Aap jo hai usamen aapako poori tarah khush rahana chaahiye. Andar se khoobasoorat hone ke liye aapako kisi aur jaisa banane kee jaroorat nahi hai. Aap dekhie, mainne apane pahale saptaah ke dauraan apana dopahar ka bhojan gira diya aur poore cafeteria ki bheed ke saamane gir gaya. Jab main itani sharmindagi mein thi to meri do sabase achchi dost Jennifer aur Erica ne meri madad ki. Hum kaafi kareeb aa gai. Is tarah hum teenon apane poore sansthaan mein sabase lokapriy aur phaishanebal ladakiyaan ban gaeen. Aap svayan banen aur un logon se dosti karen jo aapaki vaastavik kadr karate hain(You must be perfectly happy with who you are. Being beautiful on the inside does not need you to be someone else. You see, I spilled my lunch during my first week and fell in front of the entire cafeteria throng. Two of my best friends, Jennifer and Erica, helped me up as I was in such embarrassment. We grew to be quite close. We three became the most popular and fashionable girls in our entire institution in this way. Be yourself and create friends with those that value the real you.)" Priya took her aunt's counsel. Her closest friend, Anjana Didi, was there for her at all times.

Sapna: