Mentorship Program

Juliana's frustration grew as she found herself once again overlooked for a leadership position in yet another Congress session, much like the countless times before.

Given her relative seniority in the chamber, she had her sights on the Senate President Pro-Tempore position. However, with Louie, who was much more senior than her (in terms of tenure, not of age, Juliana made it clear), coming back to the Senate, he's naturally the choice for the second-highest post in the chamber.

Even with the newly created Deputy Majority Leader seats, less experienced senators filled them, including Leon, the former vice president and neophyte senator who made quite a scene as soon as he entered the Senate. Gab, who won his Senate term on the coattails of his showbiz parents FPJ and Susan Roces and his massive network of financial backers that brought a steady stream of underground funding, took on the other Deputy Majority Leader post.

Talagang favorite nila si Gab, eh, no?

Being in the Majority, she's not entitled to any position in the Minority bloc. Kira, the second most seasoned in the Senate, led the bloc, with Juliana's partner, Reese, the second in command as the Deputy Minority Leader.

Juliana dragged a long sigh as she saw the roster of the Senate leadership. For years, she's been sidelined for one leadership position after another in favor of her more aggressive, more ambitious colleagues. It's as if none of them could see how much heart and soul she's put into every law she and her team crafted and how she involved herself in the process.

Kahit appreciation man lang, wala? Final answer na?

On the other hand, her younger but much more politically experienced and ambitious sister Thea already staked her claim. She took on the Majority Floor Leader post for the second time. Juliana's proud of her sister for how far she's come since she first started her political career as a college student in UP, when she won a city council seat in Taguig for the first time.

Pero bakit hindi na naman ako cinonsider man lang ni Lalita? Anyway, at least I got the Basic Ed committee again so pwede na rin.

A couple of weeks later, committees had been assigned, the Commission on Appointments and the Senate Electoral Tribunal seats filled up, and the daily grind commenced.

On Wednesday afternoon, after Lallie adjourned the Senate session, Juliana, who was about to leave for a workout class later that evening, heard Louie call her name from the hallways. "Pilar Juliana!"

Juliana turned to face the vivacious senator standing behind her, her eyes narrowing in mock annoyance. "Ano na naman, Louie Nathaniel? May barre class ako mamaya."

Louie pointed up to the ceiling. "My office? May pagagawa lang ako sa 'yo."

Whatever Louie asked her, Juliana knew she would have to cancel her workout class. Hay, ano na naman kaya ito, Louie? Sana naman sulit ung pag-cancel ng workout ko.

The taller senator turned about-face before the two headed up the stairs leading up to the 6th floor, where the offices of the Senate Leadership resided. They entered the arch surrounded by framed magazine clippings and photos until they entered another door with a textile installation adorned in front, leading to Louie's office.

Juliana sat down on the long couch while Louie spread himself on one of the living chairs across.

Once both got settled, the Senate President Pro-Tempore laid out a small stack of documents on the small coffee table. One of the green expandable folders, a perennial sight in any senate office, had the label "Mentorship Program Report: Sen. Antonio Leonardo Gerona" in front.

In a quick snap, the weight of all the expectations began to bear on Juliana. Given Leon's prominent status, whatever choices he made would also carry significant consequences for her role as a mentor.