Chapter 5

March 11, '15
2:56pm; continued

I hesitantly let him in, showing him to my room upstairs. I slowly sat down on my bed as he chose a spot on my desk chair, not bothering to take off his coat or shoes.

"How did you find out about Shawn?" He asked once he was situated.

"What do you mean?"

"How do you know him?"

"I went down to that park with the river to write some lyrics down in my book. When I was trying to find the right ones, he appeared and told me what could go there."

"This isn't good." I held back a sigh, just staring at him. Why wasn't anyone telling me what was happening?

"Look, when you know what happened, tell me and we can talk about this more."

I just nodded, and with that, he left my house.

*****

"You're the girl from downstairs."

I jolted up from my sleep, cold but sweating. I swallowed, glancing around in my room to make sure no one was there.

It was 1:48am, and I was supposed to have school today. I shrugged to myself, getting up anyways. I wrote my mom a note, setting it on the counter. I quickly put on some sweats and a sweatshirt, then headed outside with my phone.

I decided to walk around the park.

"I keep craving, craving, you don't know it but it's true," I stopped as I heard an angelic voice singing. What the hell? It's almost 2:00am, why is there someone outside singing?

I searched for the source of noise until I saw Shawn sitting on the ground with a guitar.

"Shawn!" I yelled/whispered. His head quickly turned to my direction and he waved, gesturing me over. I walked to where he was, sitting down.

"What are you doing here? It's nearly 2am."

"I could ask you the same." I nodded while shrugging. Technically, he had a point.

"So, what's your address?" I asked out of no where, because it only took me a few minutes to walk here. It seemed like he froze a tad at the words.

   "3652 Sicklemoore drive." He slowly responded, making me tilt my head slightly when hearing the name.

   "I think that's my street name. I'm not sure, I just moved here." His jaw dropped as the words spilled out of my mouth, his eyes widening.

   "It's you... You're the girl from downstairs..." Without another a word, he jumped up as quick as he could and ran away.

   I grumpily stood up after a moment, turning to go back home. Right when I make a friend I find a way to scare him off.
But, he needed to explain himself. I knew I had to find him.

   I only took a few wrongs streets before I finally ended up on my street. I tried to observe the surroundings around my house so I knew which path to take next time.

    I suddenly saw him towards the end, my legs trying to quietly run to catch up. Somehow, he heard and spun around, suddenly looking frightened. He turned around, then started to run, but he wasn't that fast. I guess doing track does count for something.
I barely caught up to him due to his head start and tried to grab his shirt.

   I gasped when my hand went through his shirt. I wanted to scream but I didn't. I backed away quickly, staring at my hands as if they were going to disappear too.

   "Des, I can ex-" I ignored the rest and started running back the way I came. If this was how he was going to explain then I honestly didn't want to hear it at this moment. I had no idea where I was going, considering it was now about 2:25am I couldn't see anything.

   I could feel him getting close on my trail, running faster than before. I finally just stopped and gave up. No point in wasting the rest of my energy if he was going to catch up anyways.

   I took a seat on some random local bench and waited for him to sit beside me. We sat in silence for a couple minutes until I spoke up.

   "You got an explanation for any of this?"

   "I saw you—you went upstairs and walked into my room. You ran out because you saw me hooked up to that machine."

   "W-why were you hooked up to that thing?" I nervously asked, my voice stuttering as I stared at the dark ground.

   "I still am... Destiny, what you're seeing right now is not really me. I'm, what you could say, a spirit." My eyes widen.

   "No no no, I'm not dead. I'm in a coma. I have been for the past 2 years." My mouth dropped, my heart rate increasing. Now I now why he was hanging out with me— he's planning on haunting me.

   "Is this why you made me ask Matt? And then he was mad at me?"

   "Yeah, we were best friends. Known him since kindergarten, he got bullied a lot before we became friends. It got bad once I got put in a coma."

   'That's terrible." I didn't know how to reply, so I waited before talking again.

   "Listen, if you're going to haunt me or some shi-"

   "Des, I'm not like that." I sighed in relief. "I just need your help." I quickly looked up from the ground.

   What was he talking about? I'm pretty sure can't help whatever he's got going on with him.

   "How the hell am I supposed to help?"

   "Wake me up."