Chapter 7: Trouble in Hogsmeade

Start from the beginning

'Yes,' Meli said, looking back down at her list. 'It says here that I'm supposed to collect...a book of "spellcrafts"—what exactly is a spellcraft?'

'It is a recipe of sorts,' Professor Weasley explained. 'Used when conjuring objects. I shall explain more about them when you begin working with Transfiguration magic.'

Meli nodded. 'Alright,' she said, folding the list and slipping it into her pocket with a smile. 'I'm eager to get to Hogsmeade.'

'Very well,' Professor Weasley said with a laugh. 'I'd like you to make your first visit to the village with a classmate; help you get your bearings. Perhaps Sebastian Sallow or Natsai Onai? I'm told they both partnered with you during lessons. Or would you prefer to have your brother accompany you?'

'No,' Meli said. Rowan was certainly good company, but having him babysit her through everything she might need assistance with was not a trend she wanted to start. 'Goin' with Natty sounds nice, actually.'

'Excellent choice,' said Professor Weasley. 'Miss Onai is one of our most talented students, and she knows the area. She'll keep you well clear of any of Victor Rookwood's undesirables en route.'

Meli frowned slightly. 'Victor Rookwood?'

'A rather unsavoury local,' Professor Weasley clarified. 'Best to avoid him and his associates—including his "right hand" of sorts, Theophilus Harlow—if you can. Once you've finished Professor Ronen's assignment, Miss Onai should be waiting for you at the castle doors. No time to waste! The sooner you complete your work, the sooner you can enjoy a butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks.'

Meli nodded. 'Of course, Professor.'

Professor Weasley gave a nod of her own, then turned and went back to her desk. Meli left the Transfiguration classroom and returned to the courtyard, looking for Professor Ronen. She found him standing by the dragon fountain.

'Ah, there you are!' he said.

'Ye have a new spell to teach me, Professor?' Meli asked.

'Indeed I do!' said Professor Ronen. 'And an exceedingly useful one, at that—the Mending Charm, Reparo. Fixes things right up! Makes a broken object good as new in the blink of an eye.'

'Seems as if that might come in handy,' Meli said, remembering the vases she had broken on her way down into the common room the previous night.

'More frequently than one would imagine!' said Professor Ronen. 'As Professor Weasley mentioned, I am not the only one who will be teaching you spells outside of class in an effort to catch you up with your peers. A number of your professors have agreed to do so as well. But first, each shall ask that you complete a few preliminary tasks to hone your magic. I have arranged some for today: I would like you to search for the flying Field Guide pages in this courtyard, and in the Defence Against the Dark Arts Tower. Once you have retrieved them, report back to me. We will have you casting Reparo in no time!'

Meli frowned slightly, puzzled. 'Of course, sir,' she said, trying to sound polite, 'but...how will this help me with Reparo specifically?'

'A great deal of magic is cumulative,' Professor Ronen explained. 'Much like physical strength, magical strength must also be built over time. In practising the spells you have already learned, you are increasing not only your skill with them, but your magical skill overall, preparing you to learn more powerful and complex magic. So think of this as a warm-up exercise, if you will. Stretching your legs before taking a run.' He smiled.

Meli nodded. 'Understood, Professor,' she said. 'I'll get started.'

'I shall be waiting right here,' said Professor Ronen.