𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

𝒋 𝒐 𝒉 𝒏 𝒏 𝒚 𝒄 𝒂 𝒌 𝒆

"Check it out, man," Johnny pointed, the three of you closing in on the entrance to the old building, courtesy of the directions a local farmer gave

"The church," Pony nodded.

You entered, your face falling as you realized the place was infested with cobwebs and spiders, not to mention dusty beyond belief, and a couple of rabbits hiding around, too.

Suddenly, something screeched, swooping down from the rafters and flying out the door.

"What was that?!" You jumped, frantically looking around.

"Just an owl," Pony stated, taking off Dally's coat and placing it down on the ground, Johnny laying on top of it.

Pony laid his head on a square rock, and you sat down next to him, nervously fiddling with a button on Johnny's jacket.

"Guys..." Pony started.

"Yeah," you and Johnny answered.

"Y'all all right?"

"All right as I can be," you sighed, pulling your knees up to your chest.

After a while of not hearing Johnny's response, the two of you turned to the boy, only to see that he was out like a light.

"Figures," you nodded, "He did stay up the whole ride."

"Yeah," Pony nodded, shifting to at least try and get comfy, "Man, this floor sure is hard."

"Get some rest, Pone," you assured, showing him a faint smile, "I'll keep watch."

The boy nodded, finally settling and shutting his eyes.

Which left you alone with your thoughts for the first time in the past couple days. 

Something dangerous.

'I shouldn't have brought these boys with me. They surely woulda gotten off scott-free if they stayed. They didn't do nothin' wrong.'

You sighed, turning to face Johnny and letting your hands find place in his hair, massaging it in the way you knew he liked, his face visibly relaxing, even in sleep.

"I'm sorry, Johnny," you apologized, "I don't think you know how much I mean that. This was my mess. This is my fault. It ain't have anything to do with you or Pony."

You looked up at the ceiling, watching the first rays of morning light hit the run-down place, sunlight seeping in through the cracks and holes of the old wood.

"I must be the most selfish person in the world. I want to tell y'all to leave, go somewhere far away, but I just can't. I can't bear to be away from you two."