Chapter 4

(sorry for slow updates. apparently tax evasion is a crime or something. )

-------------------------------------------------------

Benny sucked at consoling people. He struggled to handle his own emotions, and he struggled even more with handling others' emotions. It just wasn't his thing. Watching Good Cop suddenly break down crying in front of him was actually pretty scary. Of course, Benny wanted Good Cop to feel better, but he didn't know how to do that. He didn't even know what was wrong.

"Sooo... uh, hey man, it's alright." Benny cringed at his own poor comforting. He recognized was horrible at helping people. "What normally makes you feel better?"

Good Cop took a moment to collect himself enough to respond. "Normally I would just let Bad Cop front, but he's asleep. If I wake him up, he'll be mad at me."

Benny could guess that Good Cop had come to visit without Bad Cop's knowledge from that. But that would be something for the cops to figure out amongst themselves later. The only issue that Benny was concerned about was the one at hand, Good Cop being upset. "What do you like to do?"

"Gardening, reading, cooking..." Good Cop began, before Benny cut him off.

"You can cook? You could make breakfast. Yeah, it's almost time for breakfast anyhow. That would be a win-win. I haven't had a good breakfast in a while, I don't think anyone here has. Are you a good cook? I bet you are." Benny began to ramble.

"Depends on what y'guys have in the kitchen. Speaking of, where's the kitchen?" Good Cop responded. He noticed that Benny talked a lot, but it was sort of calming.

"There isn't really a kitchen, since this is an apartment building. But there's rooms we use as storage with lots of foodstuffs in them, and every room has kitchen-y equipment like ovens and stoves and whatnot in it, so I think those could work." Benny explained and proceeded to lead Good Cop to a room that was just chock full of ingredients and food. "Some of it's probably stale."

"Woah. This is so much more food than I have at my place. Where'd y'get all this?" Good Cop inquired.

"Uh... definitely not by stealing, that's for sure. It's not really stealing if there's nobody in this dump anymore, right? Also, completely unrelated, if I did happen to steal something, you wouldn't arrest me, would you?"

"Don't worry, I can't really arrest people in the apocalypse."

"Okay good because I stole like, all of this. None of it belongs to me. In my defense, no zombies asked me to not steal. So I think it was fine by them"

Good Cop already knew that before Benny admitted it. It was funny to hear the astronaut's poor attempts at lying, it even distracted Good Cop from his negative feelings for a moment. But the emotions quickly flooded back, so Good Cop decided to actually start cooking breakfast. But he wasn't sure how much to make. "Hey Benny, how many survivors are here?"

"I'm bad at counting, hold on..." Benny started to count on his fingers (which is not very efficient for Legos) "...I want to say seven, including you."

"Thanks, I guess I'll just make pancakes? That can't be too hard." Good Cop reasoned and began to dig through the pile of food for ingredients. Benny figured that he was feeling better and left to wake anyone who was still asleep. Going through the rooms, he saw Emmet and Lucy still arguing about whether to trust Good Cop. At least the breakfast he was making would surely help that. Unikitty was in her room still asleep in a little cat bed, so Benny shook her awake.

"WHAT!? Oh, hi Benny! Is it morning already?" Unikitty asked to which Benny nodded, a little too scared to verbally respond. It was kind of scary how Unikitty's mood swings had gotten worse in the apocalypse. Benny backed out of the room and went to wake Batman. The fact that Batman slept upside down was a little funny. Benny woke him up, got bitch-slapped (or how batman would say, BATch-slapped), and moved on to wake up Metalbeard.

Metalbeard was a sorry sight. When the first hordes of zombies had started appearing out of nowhere, Metalbeard's clunky body was hard to run away with. The only way to get him to safety was to pop his head off his body, which was grossly reminiscent of the incident that got him put into the body in the first place. He was obviously very weak because of this.

Benny made sure to wake Metalbeard gently, as opposed to violently shaking him like he did to the others.

"Mornin'." Metalbeard's voice sounded like he had every disease imaginable at once. Or like someone had shoved a cheese grater down his throat.

"Morning Metalbeard! Do you want to go get breakfast?" Benny offered.

"Aye."

Benny picked up his friend and carried him back to the newly designated kitchen. "Are the pancakes done?"

Good Cop peaked his head out from the door and nodded with a smile on his face. But Metalbeard's jaw dropped. "ARGH?! Why be he here?"

Benny panicked. "Woah woah woah don't stress dude! Good Cop is totally chill. He's making breakfast. Evil people do NOT make breakfast!"

Good Cop had already stopped smiling. Metalbeard was still shocked, but he was too tired to argue. "Blimey. If we be harboring Good Cop... I need me a shot of rum to process this."

Benny somehow panicked more, both because of Good Cop being sad again and Metalbeard suggesting that rum was part of a complete breakfast. "METALBEARD! You don't need alcohol for breakfast!"

"Rums for lunch, then?"

"NO!"

"Calm, boy. I be joking. I trust yer judgement."

Good Cop was a little relieved by that. "That makes half of your group, right? You two and Emmet don't hate me."

Benny felt calmer as well. "Yeah! Let's go downstairs, normally we eat in the lobby."

Benny and Good Cop set up some plates of pancakes on a makeshift dining table, which was just two smaller tables stuck together. They dragged enough hotel chairs for everyone, including one with a few pillows on it for Metalbeard. Normally Emmet's crew would just eat on the floor, but Good Cop wanted to set stuff up. It wasn't a problem with Benny, the hotel chairs were really comfortable anyhow.

"GUYS! BREAKFAST! ACTUAL FOOD!" Benny shouted out to the rest of the complex, concerning Good Cop.

"If y'yell like that, you'll attract zombies."

"That's not really a problem with me."

Good Cop regret his choice to visit again. Why did he decide to follow this idiot? His thoughts were cut off by yet another person complaining about him being here. This time, it was Batman.

"Hold on... what is HE doing here?!?!" Batman shouted out as soon as he saw Good Cop. Unikitty suddenly walked out and looked really pissed.

"THAT GUY DESTROYED MY HOME! KILL HIM!" She practically growled. Before Good Cop could respond, Benny defended him.

"That was his job! And I'm sure he feels bad about that! Right Good Cop?"

"Of course!"

Unikitty just stared disappointedly. "Okay. Okay look. I'm all for friendship and redemption, but can this mosquito looking ass put his weapons out of reach if he's gonna be here? Weapons are not very friendly."

This concern was actually incredibly reasonable, so Good Cop silently obliged and went to put his gun and knife down onto some random table in the corner of the room. Since the arguing had died down, everyone went and sat at the makeshift dining table. Emmet and Lucy came downstairs and joined them. While Batman and Lucy didn't quite enjoy Good Cop's presence, nobody made a big scene. Everybody was just about starving, so food was the main focus. And when they found out Good Cop was the one who had made them said food, the tension seemed to melt away. Perhaps everyone could get along here. But Good Cop wasn't fully confident in that, because he knew anytime soon Bad Cop would wake up, and everyone would get mad again.