Chapter 3

(when people leave out good cop in stuff i get irrationally mad. i dont care that he fucking died HES NICE! also first swear is in the notes lol. anyways ive seen lots of transphobia lately so id like to announce that Benny is transgender, Good Cop is transgender, Bad Cop is transgender, Emmet is transgender seriously nobody names their kid Emmet that is a chosen name, Lucy is transgender she literally has the dysphoria hoodie and everything, Unikitty is HELLA transgender, Batman is transgender why else would he show off his chest so much, Metalbeard is literally transgender his entire body was changed, Prez Business is transgender too we support trans wrongs, and Ma and Pa Cop are t4t. All of this is canon. Transphobia is Not Cool, Dudes.)

----------------------------------------------------------

Both Good Cop and Bad Cop had really great sleep schedules. Bad Cop was very strict and that followed into how he slept, and Good Cop was just naturally good at sleeping on time. Tonight, Good Cop's natural ability to sleep was disrupted. He was laying on the couch, staring at his ceiling, plagued with thoughts of running off to join Benny's- no, Emmet's group. Emmet was the leader, obviously. It felt horrible to think about, leaving meant he would abandon his parents and he would never want to abandon his parents, even if they were infected. Good Cop was the one who convinced Bad Cop to keep Ma and Pa 'alive', going back on that would be stupid.

But having a group of survivors was basically paradise compared to how living alone at his parents' house was. Basement zombies made horrible company, and Bad Cop was a weird situation that didn't quite count as another person.

Good Cop realized that Bad Cop wasn't saying anything. Normally he would butt in and tell Good Cop to shut up, but Bad Cop was asleep, and Good Cop was awake. If he really wanted to, he could actually go to the apartment. It wouldn't be the best idea, he would probably have to fight off some zombies on the way, but it could be worth it. Nobody was there to stop him. Good Cop got off the sofa and grabbed his backpack. Previously working under Business to stop Emmet, he knew where the complex was located.

Good Cop rarely had a moment of privacy with his thoughts, and even rarer was a moment where he felt absolute silence in his mind. But at this very moment, exiting his parents' house and slowly walking through the wasteland, his mind felt clear. It was unsettling, it exemplified how alone he was. Feeling alone only increased his urge to go find the other survivors.

Normally Bad Cop would front and take care of any journeys away from home, and Good Cop was definitely unprepared for the job. He jumped at any slight sound, occasionally including his own footsteps. Every little shadow or sound seemed like it would jump out and attack him. And when a zombie inevitably did start chasing him, he really didn't want the double-death of someone else on his conscience and chose to scream and run instead of shooting it. It was a wonder how Good Cop didn't immediately die.

When zombies weren't chasing him, Good Cop admired the scenery. A wasteland didn't seem like a beautiful place, but the silence, the moon shining brightly, standing out amongst the lack of city lights, it really was something to admire. The trek felt shorter than it actually was thanks to this positive outlook, and before he knew it, Good Cop was at the very front of Emmet's apartment complex. There was a spray paint message on the outside instructing people to not enter.

"Do I just knock or..." Good Cop asked out loud, before remembering Bad Cop was asleep and would not be able to instruct him. So Good Cop just knocked on the door, not wanting to barge in when only one person actually invited him. He certainly wouldn't be welcome.

"I'LL GET IT!!!" Benny screamed so loudly that Good Cop could hear it from outside the complex. The door swung open so fast that Good Cop thought it might fly off of its hinges. "You actually came! Sweet! I guess you didn't take my neck brace advice, but that's fine."

Benny dragged Good Cop inside to the front office of the complex, and he could hear footsteps and talking from inside the complex. Emmet and Wyldstyle carefully walked down the staircase. Good Cop gave a polite wave, and Emmet waved back. Wyldstyle just glared at him, which made Good Cop nervous. What if these guys hated him? They were supposed to be really nice, so he thought it made sense that they would accept him, but at the moment it didn't seem like Wyldstyle did.

Benny ran over to Emmet. "I TOLD YOU SO!" He jumped up and slapped Emmet's head, like he was dunking on him.

"Yeah. I guess that's good news." Emmet smiled weakly. It was a bit unnerving to see Emmet tired and frail. Of all the people in the world, Emmet was one of the cheeriest. "Welcome... uh... Good Cop?" Good Cop nodded, despite feeling pain at the fact that his face was so messed up that it was hard to recognize.

"Wait are we just gonna let this guy in? Emmet, he tried to murder us." Wyldstyle spoke up, obviously concerned.

"Past is past Lucy. I know you're just being safe, but the more friends we have, the merrier!" Emmet responded.

First off, Good Cop didn't know that Wyldstyle's real name was Lucy until now. Interesting fact. Second, Good Cop also didn't know how to defend himself. As much as he wanted to stay, Lucy was right not to trust him. If Bad Cop was awake, he could probably take care of this situation instead. But since he wasn't, Good Cop just froze up and regretted his choices.

"Emmet, I know where you're coming from, this is the first survivor we've met outside of our group, but that doesn't mean he's good." Lucy began to explain.

"But his name is Good Cop!" Emmet interjected.

"Okay, why don't we go sit down somewhere and I can explain this to you." Lucy sighed and took Emmet somewhere upstairs. Benny walked back to Good Cop.

"You alright bro? You just kinda stared off and said nothing during that. I mean, I did too, but I know I'm alright cuz I'm me." Benny started rambling.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright. I'm Good." Good Cop mumbled. He noticed that while Emmet and Lucy argued, they didn't get mad at each other. They were really just trying to explain their points to each other. That was nothing like the messy bickering he had with Bad Cop. But Bad Cop was asleep and waking him up seemed like a really bad idea given the situation.

"Sweet. And don't worry man, as long as I'm here, I'll make sure they let you stay. And even if they don't let you stay, I am totally cool with breaking the rules and sneaking you in. I'm sure you could fit in like; I don't know a duffel bag or something. That would be cool. It's kind of like that one movie..." Benny continued his rambling, but Good Cop cut him off. "If y'guys are all master builders, why are you still here?"

"Our master builder powers don't work. I dunno why." Benny explained like it was nothing.

"That seems like a big deal." Good Cop commented, to which Benny just shrugged. Good Cop couldn't help but feel some sort of depression. His parents were dead. He was alone, except for a group of idiots and someone who hated him. And she hated him for a good reason, he had done horrible things in the past. He was doing something horrible right now, ignoring the wishes of his other side. He knew when Bad Cop woke up, he would be pissed. Good Cop was supposed to be the good one. Why did he do this to himself?

Both Good Cop and Bad Cop rarely cried. Bad Cop was very strict and that followed into how he expressed his emotions, and Good Cop was just naturally good at keeping it together. Tonight, Good Cop's natural ability to not cry was disrupted.