⑧. ❝𝗛𝗼𝗺𝗲❞

Depuis le début

"When the Hashimotos took over, they tried to take over everything that had ever been Shimada's, including my father's services. They wanted him to continue forging weapons for them. Of course, he didn't agree, and neither did my mother. They showed loyalty to the Shimada clan, and for that... they kidnapped my father. They have held him prisoner ever since. This is how they force him to continue forging weapons for the Hashimotos... and they use him as blackmail against my mother in case she even tried to go against them." After a short pause, he would end with that clarification. "I decided to move house so as not to bring any more possible problems to my parents. I didn't want to be linked to any of them, so I also took my grandmother's last name."

Kiriko's voice was laced with sadness, feeling more vulnerable than usual once again. For her part, the stunned ninja could only keep his gaze downcast. His fists were clenched tightly, feeling the weight, not only of the suffering of others, but also of guilt. Things were really bad in his home, and it all started with a simple conflict between brothers. Swallowing all those negative feelings, the cyborg would remove his metal mask again, revealing a pained expression on his human face, and with barely audible steps he would approach his companion. That would capture the attention of the green-haired, who would turn around to face her friend, with barely a distance between them.

The ninja would then place one of his hands on one of the other's shoulders, offering comfort. "I had no idea, Kiriko. I'm really sorry."

"Don't worry. It's not your fault." The girl would look away for a few moments, only to then bring both hands to hold the other's hand that was on her shoulder. Immediately afterwards, she would raise her gaze again to fix it on his. "I know that soon I will be able to rescue my father, and then we will finally put an end to the Hashimotos. I just have to gather some more information."

"And you're not going to do it alone. I'll help you, I promise." It would be the gentle response of the young Shimada, who offered a comforting smile to his friend.

"Thank you... I'm glad you're here, Genji." The young woman's eyes seemed to shine slightly at her companion's words.

After a few seconds motionless and silent, the ninja would simply remove his hand from the other's shoulder, taking a few steps back to distance himself. Likewise, the guardian would take the opportunity to stretch a bit. Thereupon, she would raise both arms to introduce her home to her guest, with a newly renewed cheerful demeanor.

"Well, then... Welcome to my home! What do you think?"

Genji would glance around, glad to see no more sadness in his companion, daring to reply in a more joking tone, as he would have done in the past. "It's quite cosy. I have to say that this place is neater than I could have expected."

"Hey! I'm not the little girl you used to know anymore." Would be the girl's answer, who would cross her arms.

"Oh, I bet not." While the black-haired's voice reflected irony, he would get closer to the kitchen counter, noticing some boxes stacked on it. He could see the contents... they were donuts of assorted colors. Faced with that discovery, the cyborg would simply close his eyes for a few moments while he let out a slight laugh. "Kiriko... Did you plan on having this for dinner?"

That assumption had hit the nail on the head, ripping through the green-haired like an attack she couldn't foresee. She was cornered by her friend's intuition, and she hated the idea of admitting that it was correct. Other than cringing a bit, she wouldn't know what to say. "Ahm..."

The black-haired would take that embarrassed reaction as an answer in itself, laughing softly once more, while leaned with both hands on the kitchen counter, turning his back on it.

"Hey! You're in my house now, here I make the rules." The guardian would respond with annoyance, heading towards her room to escape momentarily from the gaze of the other. "And I remind you that I'm letting you sleep here!"

"Yes, Yes. I'm glad to know that you can take care of yourself-..." Genji's words would soon be interrupted when something was thrown directly into his face. Due to how distracted he was, he couldn't stop it from hitting his face, ending up catching said object in his hands too late. It was a pillow.

"Here, you'll need that." The green-haired would comment while looking at him with a mischievous smile of satisfaction at having interrupted her companion's teasing. "I'll lend you a futon. I'll go prepare it, it's already a bit late. Please make yourself at home."

Saying that, the guardian would turn around, ready to go back to her room and prepare everything for her companion's stay. However, precisely the latter would speak again in a somewhat more serious tone after looking at that pillow for a few moments.

"Kiriko..." Having drawn his friend's attention, her hazel eyes on him, the ninja would finish his sentence. "Thank you for sheltering me tonight. It means a lot that you take the trouble."

"Oh, it's nothing." With a soft tone in her voice, a small barely discernible smile would spread on the young Yamagami's face. "It's the least I can do."

After saying that, the girl would return to her room, leaving the swordsman alone with his thoughts. His eyes widened upon hearing those words. Strangely, as if they had penetrated in a particular way inside him. He would take a seat in one of the nearby chairs as memories flooded back into his mind. He felt as if a particular memory had come back to him. However, once again the young Shimada's concentration would be taken away by a vibrating sensation in one of his pants pockets. By inserting his hand into it, he would take out his cell phone, which would notify him of an incoming call. The screen said "Lena."

Thus, the young man would limit himself to responding as soon as possible, touching the screen of his mobile device and then bringing it to one of his ears.

"Hey there! How's everything at home, love?" The excited voice on the other end of the line would be heard saying.

"Heh... So much happened in one night..."