⋆ ✦ ˚。 Part twenty-two ˚。⋆

Start from the beginning

"It's just been a lot to process...losing someone you care about..." Her concern deepened, and she reached out to touch his arm gently—but he pulled away.

"You don't have to go through this alone, Dan Heng. I'm here for you, no matter what."

He managed a weak smile.

"Thank you, March. I appreciate it."

Yet her worry only intensified. She noticed how he visited the ocean frequently, as if seeking solace in its familiar waves. Each of his visits had a mixture of longing and sadness, as if searching for something he had lost. She could tell that he was struggling, and that there was more to the story than he was letting on.

March had known Dan Heng for years, their bond stronger than most, but the shadows that clouded his eyes now were unlike anything she had seen before. She knew he was grappling with your absence, but no matter how many times she approached the subject, he retreated further into himself.

What was more, she even noticed the empty spaces in his poems, and lines that felt more hollow than before. He just wasn't himself anymore.

The bright-eyed girl couldn't hold back any longer, wanting to help him in any way she could. She cornered Dan Heng in their shared living space—her gaze unwavering.

"Dan Heng, whatever you're going through, you seriously don't have to carry it alone. I'm here, and I care about you."

He turned to her, his eyes reflecting gratitude and sorrow.

"March...I really appreciate you trying to help. But some things... they're just too complicated to share."

"But—!"

"March, it was her one of her final wishes, I can't talk about it. She's okay, but...we're never going to see her again."

March's surprise was evident in the way her eyes widened and her mouth formed an 'O' of realization. She took a step closer to him, her voice gentle yet insistent.

"S—seriously?! Why? Why won't we ever see each other again?!" She pressed him for more answers, but only silence sat between the two. She pursed her lips, feeling a tinge of guilt for continuously pushing him.

March reached out to hold his hand, her touch a comforting anchor. "I'm sorry. I keep forgetting that this is really hard for you too."

For a long while, the two sat in that silent room, strangely finding a bit of solace from the atmosphere.

But then, March's determined spirit flared anew, "Hold on—we may not be able to see her but...what's stopping you from writing her a letter or something?! I'm sure there's another way to contact her, you can't just completely give up. Not on her, and especially not on yourself!"

Dan Heng's gaze met hers, a spark of hope ignited in his eyes.

"Youre right. I promised her I wouldn't give up either. It's just...I don't know where to start." March stopped for a second, the excitement from before dying down a little.

He was right, how would they even go about finding someone as elusive as you? She thought about who she could ask for help...and only one person came to mind.