"I shouldn't have said it," she added, her voice quiet. "I didn't mean any of it."

"Any of what?" Leon asked dazedly.

"It wasn't your fault," she said. She looked away, too embarrassed to meet his eye. "I had a fight with my dad, and I was angry. I wanted to blame someone, and I took it out on you."

"Natalie," he whispered, taking her face into his hands. "It's okay."

He kissed her, so lightly, and looked into her eyes.

"I don't even remember it," he said. He kissed her again. "Really."

"Leon," Natalie whined, pulling back as he tried to capture her lips once more. He moved with her, only pausing as she spoke again. "It's my fault. All of it. I think I really messed things up."

He frowned as he moved back, his skin leaving hers. He released a long breath, ran a hand over his face, and then looked at Natalie with a newly sobered expression.

"I'm listening," he said. His eyes stayed on hers, like he was using all his effort to pay attention. "I'm trying really hard not to kiss you again."

She laughed a little, but then her eyes welled up with tears and she looked away, releasing a frustrated groan.

"I'm so stupid," she said. "Everything I said—You never asked me to lie to my parents. That was all me. Just like how my grades were all me and Veronica was all me—"

"Wait, Natalie—"

"No, Leon," she said, holding up a hand to stop him from speaking. "I really am sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. If I had never met you—" her voice caught. She didn't want to imagine a world where she never met Leon. She shook her head. "What I'm trying to say is, you helped me realise that I don't want to do medicine anymore. And if it wasn't you, it would've been something else. Maybe a year down the track, maybe five, but I would've come to the same realisation."

"Natalie—"

"And if my parents don't agree with my decision, then it doesn't matter. It's my choice in the end, right?"

"Of course, but Natalie," Leon said quickly, taking her hand into his, "I don't get it. What happened with Veronica?"

Natalie's face turned hot—with anger or embarrassment, she wasn't sure. She didn't want to think about Veronica. Not now. Not with Leon this close to her. She didn't want him to think of her either.

But she knew she had to talk about it. She was the one who had yelled in his face about her anyway.

"I know that you and Veronica were a thing," she confessed.

Leon blinked. "What?"

"I overheard her that day when you were fighting Tyler outside my school. She said your exact words." Her face turned hot as she forced the words out. "You know, about your secret technique or whatever."

She watched as his brow furrowed, eyes narrowing for a moment.

"But it's okay," she added quickly. "I mean, it hurt a little at the time. I guess I felt... special. Or whatever. But it's not like we're in a relationship or anything."

"Natalie," Leon said, his eyes snapping up to hers at her words. He clasped another hand around hers so that both his hands were holding on. "I haven't spoken to Veronica in months. I didn't even know she knew about me boxing."

Natalie processed his words for a moment. She stared at him, searching his eyes. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying I never told her about my fighting strategy. I guess she would know my dad used to work at the Golden Ring, but..." he trailed off. Suddenly, his eyes widened. "Natalie, do you remember that night?"

Bruisedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें