Beyond insecurities...

As he returned home, he smiled and greeted his mother, "Mom, I am home.".

Hearing his voice, his mother, Maria, ever so cheerful, came outside to greet him as she said, "Back now? Okay, the dinner is ready. Go and wash up and then I will serve you the dinner."

Edward nodded and hugged him, kissing her forehead, before rushing upstairs to wash up as his mother had asked him to. Having washed up, he came downstairs to have his dinner, his mother serving him the food. He used to work hard and mostly late into the night most of the days. This was the reason why he was promoted multiple times and he was earning so much, enough to sustain and maintain such a big house, despite it being just him and his Mom. The house was important to the both of them, mainly because this house contained memories of his late father.

While he was eating, she brought up her favourite topic again, "Son, I was wondering, I take care of the house all day and I have to do everything. So, don't you think we should have more members in the house?"

Edward did not pay her much attention because he had an idea on what she wanted. While eating, he told her, "Mom, I have told you many times. If I marry, I will bring a wife home, not a maid."

Maria sighed and said, "But you cannot sit and talk with your maid, son. I want a daughter, someone who can spend time with me and obviously, I don't have one so it is natural that I look forward to your marriage. Besides, you are growing old now, and are successful enough to get a good wife. I want to see my grandkids before I die, son."

Edward sighed, before he looked at her. The woman was mostly alone here and even if there were the neighbours, he understood her point. The house was too big and it was natural for her to feel lonely. She cleaned and did chores for the entire household and he knew she was worried about what he would do after her death, even if he had told her sternly not to bring up that topic again. Her death was not something he wanted to think about but in his heart, he knew somehow that death was inevitable, for everyone, including his dearest mother.

Nodding to her, he said softly, "Okay, Mom, tell me what you want me to do"

Maria got happy as she said in a chirpy voice, "So there is this neighbour of a distant relative and they said they think that she would be a good match for you. Would you like to go on a date with her?"

Edward thought about it. A blind date would make him uncomfortable but it would not be that bad. He was good looking, he paid a lot of attention to his body and his work, because those were the only things he cared about. Looking good boosted his confidence and helped him in work forever. However, he was such a shy nerd since childhood, always the topper and always the one on the front seat. He would get bullied because of his acne since he did not pay attention to his body like he did now. The damage those memories caused to his mental health made him keep one thing on the same pedestal as studying, his body.

College was his new start and he was instantly popular because of being smart as well as good looking. Even if he paid attention to remaining fit, he would not give his position of being a topper to anybody. Countless hearts were broken because he was not interested in relationships, just in studying and that made him a little introverted. Books had become his friends, including non academic ones. He was socially awkward, a little too much and he had almost no friends. He knew how to give job interviews; could talk well as a leader or a colleague but not much as a friend. That almost always guaranteed that he was never going to have a girlfriend. By this point, he knew he would die a celibate.

Finally, he nodded, making Maria squeal and hug him tight, making him laugh and hug her back, rocking her softly as she said, "Okay then, I will fix a meeting for tomorrow evening."

Short stories, promptsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें