vi. the monster

Mulai dari awal

A hand suddenly shot out from the sludge, making both boys jump back. Dakota falls backwards, arms hitting the ground to hold himself up.

"Dakota!" Nancy yelled.

The boy gasped and grabbed her hand. "I got you..."

Dakota pulled as hard as he could and Nancy started to climb through the tree. He pushed his feet on the edge of it and wrapped his arms around Nancy's shoulders as they broke free. Dakota didn't care how slimy and messy she was, he just pushed against the tree and pulled her out.

He fell back again, his back hitting the ground this time. Nancy fell on top of him, arms wrapping around his neck.

Dakota pushed himself up and moved his arms to wrap around her torso. "I got you." He said.

She held him tight, eyes squeezed shut. Her breathing was heavy and Dakota knew how scary it must have been in there. He glanced back to see Jonathan staring down at them with a worried expression before he looked back at the tree. The opening had slid to a close.

Dakota rubbed her back as she still wouldn't let him go. "It's okay."

--------------------

The two boys sat in silence as Nancy showered. Dakota sat on the floor with his back against the bed, while Jonathan stood by the door with his arms crossed.

"Are you okay?" Jonathan spoke first.

"Hmm?" Dakota snapped out of it and looked up. "Fine. Nancy's the one that went through that shit."

Jonathan eyed him. "Yeah, right." He nodded with a sigh. "I'm gonna get some blankets."

"I'll help." Dakota pushed himself up.

A bit later, Nancy was groggy with her movements as she walked back in. She looked over to see Jonathan adjusting the blanket on the ground and Dakota standing behind him with another one in his hand.

"Better?" Jonathan asked.

She nodded slightly. "Yeah?

"Is this okay?" Dakota asked. "We found them in the closet."

Nancy furrowed her brows.

"We can go home-" Jonathan stood up.

"Yeah, no, no. I..." Nancy shook her head. "I don't want to be alone. Do you?" She looked between them.

"No, uh... No." Jonathan answered.

Dakota was silent. He didn't want to be alone, but he was worried about Sebastien being home with his mom.

"Koda?" Nancy asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Sorry..." He sighed. "I'll stay, too, if you want me to."

She nodded, getting one back, before she walked over to her bed.

Dakota watched Jonathan settle into the blanket he set up before he walked over to the side of the bed and lay his blanket down. He threw a pillow down, glanced at Nancy, glanced at Jonathan, glanced at the axe against the wall, and then he got on the ground.