Interval 8 - To The End

ابدأ من البداية

"And we can't tell Tenma and the others either, because they wouldn't be able to hide how happy they are to have you back around. If they act too friendly towards you, Faram wouldn't trust you."

"I'll have to play the villain then, huh? ... Not that this is the first..." He couldn't help the small laugh that came out. "But I guess... This is also a wish-come-true, in a way."

"Huh?"

"Since we got chosen to represent Earth... or well, back then, we still thought it was just Japan... I noticed how much better Tenma's getting at soccer."

She nearly snorted. "He's definitely a different person from the rookie we met on your first day of school."

"Yeah, and that's exactly why. I really want to fight him again." His hand balled into a fist as a smirk donned his face. "We've sparred countless of times, but that's not the same as going head-to-head in a real match. The last time... The only time we've done that was when I led Kuro No Kishidan to destroy Raimon." The smirk relaxed to an awkward smile. "Not something I'm proud of, and I guess it's messed up for me to say this when I've hurt so many people, but... Even though I found it so annoying how he kept getting back up... That match was also... a lot of fun."

When he turned to look at her again, he thought he saw her expression being completely blank. But when he blinked, she was smirking mischieviously. "Oh, Shindou-san wouldn't like that."

"Then you better not tell him." He growled at her (playfully, because he knew she wouldn't).

With their decision made, they spent their time walking around, thinking about what they would do. The last thing they expected, upon passing by the outermost gate of the castle, was to find Kuroiwa Ryuusei waiting for them.

~~~~~

After informing his team that he needed to be elsewhere for the moment, he headed for the tunnels, ignoring the stares from his old friends. But he couldn't hide the smile that appeared when he came face to face with a certain blonde girl just as she rounded the corner.

"Oh, Kyousuke."

"Kimiko."

He quickly glanced back to check if anyone saw them. Luckily, both teams were idling away by their own benches.

"Purple, huh? It suits you." She suddenly said, looking up and down at his uniform with her usual cheeky grin. "Though, I think you look better in blue."

He rolled his eyes on instinct. "Does that mean you're gonna return that jacket?"

"Nope!" She said, sticking her tongue out and hugging herself, as if he was going to try to rip it off of her.

"Figures." He stole another glance at his opponents, who all seemed to be getting rather restless, before curling his lips to a smirk. "Looks like your team is getting wary."

"Well, it is the finals." She shrugged before mirroring his expression. "And don't act like yours isn't. That stuff Ozrock said must've hit some nerves."

"Can't blame them for that. None of them ever expected he would do that." His eyes narrowed. "But perhaps it's for the best. I originally planned on hitting their pride, but with him causing havoc like King Acrous predicted, Faram Dite are more than motivated to fight with their lives on the line."

She nodded. "Good. Princess Katora went to see Tenma earlier too. She told the team that the final condition to saving the galaxy is to win the match, so you can be sure they'll fight with everything they've got." Then, she gave a wry smile. "Not that there was ever any room for doubt in the first place."

"Yeah..." He trailed off, eying her appearance up and down. He knew he was short on time and that he needed to get to the VIP seat, where he was sure his now-only-other-friend on the forsaken planet was panicking in, but he couldn't help it. "Did you get shot at again?"

"... I was out on a battlefield, Kyou. What the fuck did you expect?"

"I was expecting you to keep a shield up to make sure you don't get hurt." His hand took a lock of her hair and fiddled with it. "Your bangs are singed..." He tilted his head to see the back of hers, confirming his suspicions. "Your ponytail too."

"Yeah, but that's it. It's barely visible. I can cut it later. It's fine." She gave him a look. "Aren't you going to ask me about how my part of the plan went?"

He shrugged, letting her bangs fall back to her face. "Seeing how you're pretty upbeat about it, I can tell it went well."

She giggled like a little gremlin. "Hehe! I cleared just enough paths so the Faram soldiers could have an easier time taking it all back! Saved a few civilians along the way too."

"Did anyone see your face?"

"Nope! Artemis is a ranged fighter, remember? Also, I used my other jacket, the pink one with the hoodie, to hide it! It's all wrecked now though, so I went back to the train and changed back to this one before coming here."

"... I thought you said you left that one at home?"

"I lied."

Of course she did. Oh well. "At least no one will come after you."

"It's not my first time launching an assault, so no worries! I know what I'm doing."

He should probably be more worried about that statement, but he'll let it slide for now. "Yeah, I trust you. And now, it's my turn." His hand went to the bright green captain's mark on his upper arm, over the purple uniform. "I'll do everything I can to pull them all into the fight and charge that cannon."

"And I'll be cheering for you, as always."

He smirked at that. "Are you sure you should say that to your enemy?"

It was her turn to roll her eyes. "Don't try to pull that on me. Enemy or not, you're still just Kyousuke."

"Heh... It's just like you to think so." He placed a hand on her shoulder, patting it only once, before roughly pushing past her.

"Hey! Don't bully me when you're in that outfit or I'll really think you're evil now!" She pouted, rubbing her shoulder.

"My bad." His apology was sarcastic.

Just as he was about to leave with a wave, his arm was caught.

Turning, he found that her expression was suddenly serious. "It's nice that you're having fun, but... It's not too late, you know? Are you absolutely sure?"

If you do this, they may never forgive you. Even if they understand your intentions in the end, you will have hurt them. You could lose everything you've worked so hard to build after your initial mistakes. You could be left all alone again. Despite all of that, are you absolutely sure?

That was what's weighing behind that one small question.

And yet, despite all of that... "Yes." He gave her a smile. "Because I'll still have you, won't I?"

This time, he could clearly see her eyes widening. Then, she let out a small laugh, holding a hand up. "To the end."

(The three simple words their promises are made of. From the beginning of their journey through Fifth Sector, their harsh experiences through time, even when they had been ripped apart across space and forced into an impossible situation with the entire universe riding on their shoulders...)

He smirked as their palms met with a clap resounding through the tunnel.

(They were in it all together.)

"To the end."