Chapter 1: Of fast cars and prancing horses

Heyy, here is the first chapter! Enjoy <3
-----------------------------------
May 2002, kindergarten:

"Josie!", Charles screams, "Josie, look I have to show you something!". 

Energetically he starts searching and rummaging in his little red backpack that he usually brings to kindergarten.

"What is it, Charlie?", Josephine asks impatiently and opens her own lunchbox.

It is midday break and all the children have sat around the large table to eat together. 

She starts unwrapping her sandwich and takes a big bite and watches her best friend while he basically turns his little red backpack upside down.

"Wait, Josie! It's so cool, believe me!", Charles answered. His big green eye sparkle with joy when he finally pulls out what he has been searching for. 

"And? What do you think?" he proudly presents a red lunchbox with a fast-looking car on it. 

A huge smile covers his happy face, "It's a present from my dad!".

Josephine on the other hand does not understand at all why he treats this lunchbox like it is the 8th world wonder

Josephine giggles and smiles at her best friend. He can be so quirky at times!

Charles and his cars, that is like another universe hardly anyone understands. It is more than a regular childhood foible, but rather an obsession, especially for these particular red ones.

"Oh Charlie, it looks really cool!", Josephine giggles and takes another bite of her sandwich. 

"No, no, no you don't understand, Josie! Do you know what this is?", Charles energetically points on the red car and literally shoves it right into her face. 

"A, a, a ... ", Josephine mumbles.

"A Ferrari, Josie! One day this is going to be me!", Charles points on the little pilot displayed on the lunchbox. He totally is in love with his father's gift. So much he almost, forgets its delicious contents his mother packed for him previously this morning.

After literally inhaling their lunches Charles, Josephine and the rest of the children eagerly return to their usual activities in kindergarten. 

The spacious yard provides room for them to run around, play, and bask in the warm sunshine on this delightful spring day. The afternoon is filled with laughter, as the kids engage in various games and activities.

At some point, though, Charles gets bored playing with the other kids and secretly sneaks back inside. The group of kindergarten children is usually supposed to stay together. So, when it is garden time everyone should be outside.

Well, this rule not really applies for sneaky little Charles. He gets his backpack and tiptoes to the little boys' corner, where there is a huge car carpet with roads on it. Charles let himself fall on the floor and pulls his precious toy cars out of his red backpack.

Immediately he loses himself in this miniature world of adventure and starts constructing imaginary traffic events and races. 

The time around him stops and he teleports himself to his own imagination.

After some time, Josephine wonders where her best friend has been for so long and she starts looking for him in every corner and every bush of the yard, but she cannot find him anywhere

Her concerns are growing, when she suddenly hears humming sounds through the open window coming from the inside the kindergarten building.

"I knew it!", Josephine mumbles enlightened. Faster than light she as well sneaks inside, without catching attention from the attentive kindergarten teacher.

"Josie! You scared me to death!", Charles squeaked when Josephine swiftly sits down on the floor next to her best friend. 

"Shhhh, not so loud! You know, we're not supposed to be here now!", she quietly interrupts the startle little boy.

He nods approvingly and continues to drive his toy cars along the little roads on the rug. 

Josephine in the meantime pulls a few little toy horses out of her backpack and as well starts to set them up on the carpet. Yes, she indeed is one of these horse-enthusiastic-girls.

"No, no, that's not good!", Charles protests when Josephine puts one of her horses alongside Charles' cars. "What do mean?", she asks confused and looks at her best friend.

"This", he answers and pointed on her pink pony next to his tiny red racing car, "A horse cannot race my Ferrari!". 

"Why?", Josephine protests and folds her arms, "My horses are faster than your cars anyways!".

Now Charles is the one flabbergasted: "No, Josie, that's impossible! A Ferrari has over 1000 horse powers. Your horses are never ever faster than my ...".

"Bla, bla, bla, I'll show you that they are, let's race! My horse against your Ferrari", she interrupts the protesting little boy and energetically fidgets with her pink pony in front of Charles face.

"Okay, if you say so, let's go", he answers and smiles gloatingly. The boy puts his little Ferrari on the starting grid as well as the girl who places her pink horse right next to it.

"Three, two, one ...", Josephine starts counting down when suddenly Charles protests again: "No, you can't race with this horse, Josie!". 

"Why? It's my favourite", Josephine pouts while hugging her little toy horse tightly.

"You have to take this!", he picks up a black prancing horse from her collection, "See, it's the Ferrari horse and it's the only one that has a chance!". 

He babbles while pointing on the Ferrari logo, which indeed shows a little, black prancing horse on the yellow background.

"Okay, okay, I'll take that one! Let's go Charlie", Josephine answers and both kids position themselves on the rug with their little contenders in their hands. Charles starts making humming sounds again miming the engine of his little toy car.

"Three, two, one ... and it's lights out and away we go....", Charles squeaks joyfully. 

Both kids start crawling across the floor egerly racing each other's toys resulting in a chaotic mess with both of them rolling across the floor laughing.

-----------------------------------------

Awww I am so excited what you'll think of this story! 

Thanks for reading, feel free to share your feedback! <3

xoxo, simplylovelyy33

-----------------------------------------

Preview for the next chapter:

"Josie?", Charles asks sleepily, "What are you doing here?". 

"Shh Charlie", she worriedly puts her index finger in front of her lips.