"In the '80s." Ruby states.

"And the rumors still rampant!" Jamal defends. "What about The Goonies? Some of those kids thought it was B.S. too until they found the treasure. And they weren't even—"

"Brown." Monse cuts him off. "We're brown. Only white kids find treasure."

"What are you looking for?" Ruby questions his abuelita.

"Baby Jesus." She answers. "He's missing. The special one blessed by the bishop. I put him in here before I started to move into my room."

"Jamal." Marianna glares at the boy.

"You're holding it." Ruby tells him.

"No, this is Toddler Jesus." He explains. "Babies don't stand. This Jesus is probably already potty trained. And this isn't a diaper, these are booty shorts." After much defending, he still gave it up in the end.

"Sit down. Sit." Ruby tells the boy through gritted teeth.

"Alright, I'm out." Cesar announces.

"We haven't even pitched the final M." Monse tells him.

"Don't need to." He tells her.

"Just humor us." Marianna says as Monse pushes the boy back down onto the bed.

"Manipulation." She stated the last M.

"Through negotiation." Marianna and Jamal say at the same time.

"With cogent, well-articulated arguments." Ruby finished.

"So, that's it? That's the plan?" Cesar questions. "You're gonna get me out of the gang with cogent, well-articulated arguments?"

"Yes." They all answer.

"Never gonna happen. Good talk." He says before leaving.

The four began to talk of each other, explaining how they all failed on their parts.

"Cesar's reaction was a wake-up call." Ruby explains as the four walk up the stairs of their school. "The plan isn't fully formed. We need more time to let our ideas marinate before we take action."

"Marinate?" Monse questions. "No. We gotta cook now. The longer we wait, the deeper Cesar's in. Right now he's got no responsibilities. We gotta get him out before he puts in work."

"Who's putting in work?" He questions from behind them. "You still with that?"

"No." They all answer.

"Jamal?" Cesar questions, putting his arm around the teen.

"We're still with it." He says immediately.

"This isn't funny anymore." Cesar steps in front of the four, stopping them.

"Nobody's laughing." Marianna states, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Drop the attitude, Red." He glares at her. "Trying to reason with my brother is straight up dumb. You gotta promise me you're gonna drop it."

"You're overreacting—"

"Especially you. Promise." He cuts Monse off.

"I promise." She sighs.

"Okay, good. See you after class." He walks away.