Chapter 67: Lichtenburg

Start from the beginning

"Elgen Two, Elgen Two, do you copy? Repeat, Elgen Two, do you copy?"

"This is Elgen Four. We're dropping down to check on Two."

[Female voice. Automated warning] "Altitude low."

[Sound of explosion]

"Four, pull out. There's unexploded ordnance."

"I think that was just a land mine."

"Too much blast for a land mine, Four."

"Maybe another fuel tank."

". . . Or a weapons arsenal."

"Good of them to provide the ordnance."

"Elgen Three, any response from Elgen Two?"

"Still no response, One."

"Elgen Two, Elgen Two, do you copy?"

"Elgen One, we have a visual. Elgen Two is in flames. There are no signs of survivors."

"Roger that, Elgen Four. Let's seal the site. All helos clear ground, Nine and Eleven fire napalm."

"What about Elgen Two?"

"There are no survivors on Elgen Two. Fire napalm on my command." [Pause] "Fire."

"Elgen Nine. Napalm released."

[Explosion]

"Elgen Eleven. Napalm released."

"Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning. . . ."

"That is what hell looks like, gentlemen. Let's get out of here before the Mexican air force arrives."

"What's that, a biplane?" [Laughter]

"All helos back to Elgen Base. Elgen Eleven, record damage, then return with fleet."

"Copy, One."

"This is Elgen One reporting to base. Mission accomplished. Target is neutralized. There are no enemy survivors. Repeat, there are no enemy survivors."

PART NINE

Admiral-General Park's office Taiwan Starxource plant

It was nearly midnight, and Elite Global Guard Jung Jihoon stood at attention, his back to the door of Admiral-General Park's office. "Sir, we've destroyed the terrorists' home base. The resistance's ranch has been annihilated."

Park nodded but continued reading his book. "What have you done with the prisoners?"

"There were no prisoners taken. There were no survivors."

Park looked up from his book. "No survivors?"

"We killed every last one of them. After our barrage of missiles, we dropped napalm. I've reviewed the footage. The compound looked like Dresden after World War II. I can provide the video for you if you wish."

Park was quiet for a moment. "No, I'll take your word for it." He set down his book, stood, and walked to the side of the room, avoiding eye contact with Jung. "What is the status of Stray Kids? Are they still in Taiwan?" Park spoke in a low, threatening voice.

Jung stiffened before replying. "They've escaped, sir."

"Every one of them?"

"Yes, Admiral-General."

"With the Chinese girl?"

"Yes, sir. We believe they have Jade Dragon."

Park appeared thoughtful for a moment, then said softly, "You failed me."