Taking a final look around my childhood bedroom, I make sure nothing is left, not that I would have the choice to take it with me looking at the extra luggage I have then head downstairs. My flight was only 5 hours from now and we should leave for the airport in 2--

I jump in my place when a pair of party poopers are blasted in my face. The confetti flying around me.

"SURPRISE!" I take in the beaming faces of Ma, Papa, Khalu & Khala, Jalal, Majid, and a whole lot of people I considered as family gathered.

"Oh my God!"

They part like the red sea for Layla to come through them with a cake in her hands and a big smile on her face. I let out a breathy laugh, doing a show of wiping my imaginary tears.

"You guys! I'm so overwhelmed." I say, because I truly was overwhelmed and the water in my eyes was actual tears of joy.

"Surprise," Layla whispered, her eyes glinting behind the lit candles that cast a golden glow on her baby face.

The lot of people gather around the dining table where the cake was placed. Cheers and hoots boomed as I slice my knife through and cut a piece. But, before feeding anybody else, I stuff it in my mouth, flashing the awaiting faces a wicked grin. The crowd let's out a collected half chuckle half groan because this is how I do it. Every single time. Before going around and feeding the piece of cake to everyone present in the house.

We have dinner together, for the last time until Allah knows when. Whatever little time I had left went in chit chat, people congratulating me and wishing me well for the new project.

I was out of shower, pushing my feet into the trousers when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. It must be Papa asking me to hurry up, I think, and hastily pull down the grey polo shirt down my head.

"Haan, papa, I'm ready-- Ma?" I pause, not expecting her at the door.

"Ready bache?"

"Yeah," I say, and step a side for her to enter the room. "Did you need anything?"

Ma let's out a sigh and plops down onto the bed. I grab the towel I had hurled on the Mattress only seconds ago and begin to rub my hair dry with it. My gaze falls on the wrist watch, reading the time then looking at my mother who clearly had something to say to me.

I just hope she was not going to get emotional. I've had my dose of goodbye tears and simply couldn't take anymore. But, she was my beloved Ma.

"Ma," I call softly, sitting on my knees on the carpeted floor and take her flair hand in mine. "I'll miss you." I say with every ounce of honesty in me and plant a kiss on her hand. Because I had absolutely no idea when I was to see her after today.

She smiles, getting all teary. "I'll miss you too my laal." She said, running a hand through my hair. "I'll miss you very much."

"Not more than me, though." I joke.

"You don't wanna get me started on my 'Ma Ka Pyar' monologue." She warned.

"I won't mind, really." We share a chuckle, and I watch a foreign emotion cloud her face.

"Bete," she started but went quiet again.

"I'm listening," I prompt her, resting my head against her thigh.

"I want you to get married,"

"Hmm,"

"To Layla."

"What?!" I shoot up at her words, utterly horrified.

"What?" She blinks at me, clearly confused by my outburst.

"Why would you--" I start but realize the door was open and tune my voice lower. "Why would you want me to get married to Layla? Layla?"