⋆ ✦ ˚。 Part eighteen ˚。⋆

Start from the beginning

The revelation took me by surprise, and for a moment, I was at a loss for words. It had never occurred to me that Gepard might feel this way—but one it did, everything clicked.

Both him and his sisters strange behavior, the day at the beach, and even when we first met. It was so painfully obvious, I mentally scolded myself for being so oblivious.

"I had to tell you," he continued, his gaze unwavering, "because keeping it to myself was becoming unbearable. But—I know I've already lost."

It took me a second, but I knew that I needed to respond honestly, even if it might be difficult for both of us.

"It must have taken a lot to confess to me like this—and I'm truly sorry, but I can't return your feelings."

A flicker of disappointment crossed his face, but he managed a small smile. "I understand," he said, trying to conceal his emotions. "I figured as much after seeing you and Dan Heng during the field trip."

"W—what?! Hold on, I think you've misunderstood," I frantically waved my hands in a blocking motion, causing Gepard to chuckle softly.

"Either way, I'd like to continue as friends...if you're okay with it."

"We'll always be friends, Gepard," I assured him, reaching out to place a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Thank you for sharing your honest feelings with me—and again I'm sorry I can't return them."

He nodded, a mix of relief and sadness evident in his eyes. "Thank you too," he whispered. "For being gentle about it, haha."

__ __

March held a shirt up to my chest, analyzing it in the mirror. Her face contorted with her thoughts, and she had become unusually silent. It seemed she took fashion quite seriously—as she's grown a focused air about her.

"Okay, now try this one!" March said excitedly, holding up another top. She had been on a mission to find the perfect outfit for me, determined to make sure I looked my best for the festival with Dan Heng.

I tried on the shirt she handed me and glanced at my figure in the mirror. The color was nice—but I wasn't entirely convinced.

"I'm not sure, March. It's nice, but maybe something...simpler?"

March's eyebrows furrowed in response.

"Simpler? Oh, no, we can't go for simple! This is a special occasion, and we need to make sure you stand out!" She rummaged through her pile of clothes, pulling out another option for me to try.

As she continued to dress me up like a life-sized doll, I found myself smiling at her enthusiasm. I had to admit, her positivity was extremely contagious.

It was also endearing to see how much effort she was putting into making me look good for a change. Now that I really though about, ever since I came here I never really 'dressed up'. The only clothing I owned were school uniforms.

"March, you really don't have to go through all this trouble," I said, attempting to dissuade her.

"Oh, nonsense! I love doing this," she replied, not giving up on her endeavor. "Dan Heng may look like a bum, but I will make sure you don't!"

She held up another outfit for me to consider, and I reluctantly gave in—just trying it on to please her. To my surprise, the combination turned out to be quite flattering, and I felt a newfound sense of confidence as I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

March grinned triumphantly. "See, I told you this would look amazing on you! I wonder what his face will be when he sees you," she held her fingers to her mouth, snickering devilishly.

As the time to leave for the festival drew nearer, March continued to add finishing touches to everything, ensuring it was perfect—I really was in good hands.

She even insisted on doing my hair and makeup, and I started to feel somewhat sad. I never realized how much of a caring and dedicated friend she was to me—and I had done nothing in return for her.

"Okay, you're all set!" March announced with a satisfied smile. "Now go and have the time of your life with that old bookworm!"

"Thank you, March," I said, embracing her in a heartfelt hug. In that split second, I hoped that the gesture would convey the depth of my gratitude—because it was all I could offer her in the moment.

A thought struck me however. Tonight, was likely the last I was ever going to see if the girl before me. The final moments I could spend with her were happening right now.

Even though I was careful to put enough distance between her and myself—it still felt weird. It felt, heavy. Like a sinking feeling in my stomach.

March beamed, completely unaware of my inner turmoil, hugging me back tightly. "Just go out there and enjoy yourself, okay? And don't forget to take lots of pictures!"

I smiled again, savoring the time I had left with her.

And in that moment I realized that, I really liked how she cheered me on—even until the very end.

╰┈➤ EDITED

╭┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╮A notice on the fridge

A notice on the fridge

Hey March and Dan Heng

You kids eat so much?! Can one of you go out and buy some more bread and eggs, we seem to be running low. I have a few meetings at the school so I'll be home late. Cya then kiddos!

-Himiko

╰┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╯