Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Liam couldn't help but smile. “You sound wounded, Stef. It's not you.”

“It's never me when it comes to Isabella and I know the feeling is mutual with you too.” Stefan ground out softly. “I will not allow you to make her cry again like the way she did when you abandoned her. I need to know if you are all in, if this is it.”

This was it! This is exactly what Liam needed to fill up that gaping hole in his heart. There was nothing else without Isabella. Liam wanted to believe there was nothing going on between Isabella and Stefan but it was as clear as day. Stefan loved Isabella more than he was comfortable to admit but his love for her was more of a protector and not a lover. If he ever got his way of letting Isabella go on with her life and if she chose to be Stefan with then he wouldn't have worried about her protection and safety.

“This is it, Stef.” Liam finally sighed and looked up at his best friend.

Stefan's eyes widened in shock. “Are you for real?”

“I love Belle with all my heart, Stef even though it took me your crude warnings to snatch her for yourself to finally make me see what she really meant to me.” Liam didn't want to deny it anymore. He didn't want to hide it from the world. He wanted to stand on the highest skyscraper and just shout out his love for Isabella.

“Well, how about that, you egotistical son-of-a-bitch.” Stefan crossed his hands across his chest and shook his head lightly. “I love Isabella too, you know.” Liam nodded. “The only reason I haven't pursued her much more strongly was because she had already given you her heart—and soul. Sometimes I wished that I met her before you, then I would have saved her all the tears and heartaches.”

Liam doubted that very much. Stefan didn't want to face it but he was just like him. Stefan feared commitment and that was why he dated the forbidden women, women that other men tend to fear because they were strong on their own two feet. Isabella was forbidden to him too and that was what attracted him to her. Stefan might have committed to her—who knows, but what Liam knew was that he would have made her cry as much as he did before he committed. “I'm glad you didn't, Stef. No offense.”

Stefan shrugged his shoulders. “None taken. Just one thing Liam, I will always be that annoying shadow behind you that makes you look over your shoulder every time. Mess this one up and I'll not feel sorry for you.”

Liam grinned at his friend. “You never felt sorry for me. And that is caring in Stefanish. You care for me, Stefan.”

“Don't push your luck, Cornell boy!” Stefan growled even though his eyes sparkled with laughter.

“I hope you don't expect a hug from me or anything.” Liam eyed Stefan cautiously.

Stefan shook his head and extended out his hand. “I'm happy for you, man.”

Liam accepted the hand. “Thanks, Stef.”

“Now, let's get this over with.” Stefan breathed in lightly just as Michelle raced in. “Oh, by the way, Michelle Griffin, you are fired.”

Liam's eyebrows arched up as he followed Stefan out of his office towards the conference room. Michelle's face was as pale as paper as she turned on her heels and watched them leave.

“Why so harsh, Stefan? I thought I was the bad employer and you were the good one?” Liam asked.

“Michelle is not cut out for this. I just saved the rest of her life! She'll thank me one day for what i just did.” Stefan stated and smirked. “I'm taking Alexia Summers.”

Liam hummed grimly as they approached the conference room with Kimberly and Christy waiting eagerly outside and a couple of important people of the company. “I've also decided to finally take in a PA.” Liam turned to Stefan and said, “Joe Butler.”