WW1 to WW2

''There's something in me, Jack. Like a dynamo. I don’t know what it is, if I should become an artist or a sculptor or a dancer, just like Isadora Duncan, a wild Pagan spirit, or....a moving picture actress!''

-Rose

-

''It’s the best show of 1922, or so the papers say.''

''Well, they said that about the last one of 1921.''

''And that was true! If it wasn’t they wouldn’t have wanted you to do that picture now, would they?''

Jack touched Rose's silky shoulder length platinum blonde hair. A cloud of smoke surrounded her, and Jack took the cigarette from her and took a long drag.

''Well, maybe once the next picture is shot. We could take a vacation, someplace. Away from California.''

Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise. ''Wow, we haven't had a vacation in ten years.''

Rose playfully hit her husband's arm and he pulled her into a standing position. She took the cigarette from between his lips and placed it between her own, taking a long drag before exhaling right in his face.

''Well, that’s because we spent three years travelling,'' she kissed him just once, right on the lips, ''then we made two babies,'' she kissed him again, this time he smirked, ''then came the war and then once you were back, well, we made up for some of the lost time.'' Her eyes sparkled with mischief.

''Then, Hollywood came knocking, for my wife.''

Rose took another long drag. ''You encouraged my acting, darling.''

''Yes, because a redhead, many moons ago told me that she wanted to become a moving picture actress. I did marry her but then, she woke up blonde.''

Rose stubbed the cigarette out in the ashtray upon the table in their kitchen. ''Yes, and my husband told me he enjoyed the blonde.''

''I do, I love you whatever the hair colour.''

His hands came around her slender waist and he tilted his head to the right, watching how her lips curved into a smile. They began to sway a little and after a minute, they realised they were dancing, to no music. Her blonde curls fell into her face, in that moment, she stole his breathe away, just as she had ten years before but now, it was much more intense.

''You know I do believe I am dancing with the most beautiful actress there is. The most in-demand actress in Hollywood.''

Rose snaked her arms up around his neck and rested her face next to his, she felt the stubble of his couple of days' worth of growth.

''No, Jack. I am none of those things, just your wife.''

-

''Teddy, come here. You know you burn in the sun, darling.'' Rose shouted after her eight-year-old son. His brother, Sam, aged five followed his brother closely behind. Together, they were like two peas in a pod. They could pass for twins, except for the couple of inches height difference.

''Coming, Mom. I want to play in the water.''

''Have a little rest, just for a minute.''

Teddy dragged his feet up the sand to the blanket where his Mother was sat in her striking blue bathing suit beneath a huge straw hat and dark sunglasses. A large parasol covered them and Samuel ran passed his Mother to see their father carrying two ice creams from the cart.

''Oh, daddy! Is that for me?'' Samuel cried, his blonde hair flapping as he ran towards Jack.

''Yes, but only if you do as your Mother said. Both of you, sit down and take a rest.''