ONE ; NEW DEAD GIRL

september 20th , split river high school , 2019

MRS. SAWYER HAD A routine everyday when she arrived at Split River High for work. She would pull into her reserved parking spot (it had been the same for almost forty years), she would walk through the front doors and head for the teacher's lounge first thing. She would grab a chocolate glazed donut on Monday's and Fridays, and a croissant on all the others. She wouldn't linger to talk with the other staff, they were much younger than her. So she would beeline it to her classroom, and sit at her desk, driving coffee and eating whichever pastry in silence and peace until kids started streaming in the room for first period economics.

Mrs. Sawter didn't know that her daughter followed her through her morning routine. Every single day. And she didn't know she was there.

Some people might consider this creepy. But Stacy Sawyer didn't. She was dead, and had been for thirty six years. Her thirty seventh year anniversary was in little under a month on October 14th.

Every single day, for thirty seven years, Stacy Sawyer watched her mother walk into school. And every single day, Stacy Sawyer wished she could speak with her mother.

Because Stacy was dead, and Mrs. Sawyer was not.

The morning of Septamber 20th started like all the others.

Stacy waited outside the front doors for her mother, then she walked by her side as she entered the school. As they strode down the halls, Stacy made her usual turn for the teacher's lounge, only to stop when she realized her mother was no longer walking with her.

Stacy furrowed her eyebrows and turned around. Mrs. Sawyer was headed towards the auditorium gym. In fact, so were all the students around them. Stacy hadn't noticed the unusual flow of kids flooding into the auditorium gym until then.

She wondered what event had occurred to divert the whole school from their usual morning routines.

Stacy waited for the last of the kids to disappear inside before she hesitantly approached the doors and pushed them open.