9. Friends

(A/n)

This chapter consists mainly of flashback to demon slayer verse before coming to death note verse. Just a flashback chapter, in other words.

•••

(Y/n) thinks she's getting from walking like a normal person to dragging herself on the floor like a rucksack if the burdens kept coming to weight in on her shoulder.

The first time she heard the news of a family being slaughtered on the mountain where she came from, (Y/n) was overcome by shock and had a mental breakdown almost everytime she's done with her mission. When Kagaya-sama had given her several days off duty for sometime in order to get herself back together, she had distanced herself by locking herself up from the other Hashiras that it got to the point where Shinazugawa had to kick down her door.

Granted, almost a week had passed and Shinobu was extremely worried that she had to call the Wind Hashira. The other Hashira would usually chuckled and some wouldn't even bother to hide their laughter, if not for the reasons that got her depressed in the first place.

(Y/n) reminiscent, as she's heading towards the training hall of butterfly estate. The sun is high up in the sky, reminding her that it's near her lunch time. Her mind, however, is set to the duty she's supposed to be tasked on right now. Going a day or two without eating wouldn't be much of a problem to her (surely she's suffered something worse than that) so she tends to take up several mission to complete them at once without in between breaks.

It is rather a bad habit for her to take, of all things, but the young woman is persistent.

She slides the door open, not even bothered for a knock or two, before rudely announcing her entrance.

Suffice to say, the other three figures must've not taken notice of her presence (she's a Hashira, that's why) since all three were entangled in a fight of some sorts. Tanjiro, especially, seems to have his face turned into red beet for having caught wrestling in a not so courteous fight by a highly respected Hashira, whom is also his dear older sister.

"Nee-sa—," he stuttered, realizing that they are also accompanied by the presence of his two other friends, "I mean, Hashira, (Y/n)-san!"

"Drop the honorary," she corrected. "I'm just (Y/n)."

Tanjiro's eyes widened in response, clearly weren't expecting her reply. He had thought that perhaps, since (Y/n) is a Hashira now, and that he has just recently joined the corps, their ranks would be too far in place to call her his nee-san. It seems now, that wherever or whatever title they hold, the shared bonds are still fresh and solid as ever, and as it will always be. The realization made him smile and he chuckled at his misconcept opinion of (Y/n).

"Now," she began, and the blond (Agatsuma was it?) release his choke hold of the boar and had an odd smile on his face he gazed at (Y/n) ("Continue on, nee-chan," he urged) and she made no prompt to have noticed him. "Everyone in the butterfly estate has their own jobs to attend to, they couldn't see to all your trainings and needs at all times," she explained.

"So I'll be taking parts in your trainings too. Are you all up to it?"

There was a round of cheering, (cut to the boar screeching at the top of his lungs just to outdo the other two) and (Y/n) caught the encouraging look offered by her brother, and she knew that all will go well.

From now on.

•••

"So you've been training those three at the butterfly estate?"

(Y/n) was enjoying her bento under one of the kakushi's headquarters, when the Water Hashira came from behind her.

"Yes, but I left them to their own trainings sometimes, since I had other missions," she said, pausing before she finished chewing all of the food in her mouth.

(Y/n) wouldn't say that she and the Water Hashira are particularly close, though their relationship are atleast somewhat better after the first time they've been appointed on the same mission. Kaguya-sama expected it to be an upper moon. Those demons, however, turns out to be intelligent ones, tricking the lower rank slayers that was sent there into thinking that they were the upper moons. These demons even let some of the slayers survived, so the poor youngsters could bring the news back to the headquarters and lure out one or two hashiras, at the very least.

Granted, (Y/n) and Tomioka-san was sent since the other hashiras were either too busy or too far away from the demon's location. The only problem was that those demons had looked down upon them and got decapitated for thinking too highly of their own abilities and taking a Hashira's skills too lightly.

"What are your thoughts?"

"About what?" He inquired.

"About my sister."

A heavy silence fall upon them, and (Y/n) considered if she shouldn't have ask that question. Sure, they may be friends, that doesn't that he will consent to the ideas of having a demon spared on their side, however harmless she's proven to be.

"You're different."

(Y/n) raised one eyebrow in question.

"Your siblings bond, I mean. It's as if she has something that kept her consciousness awake, something to remind her that her bonds are more important than her cravings," he explained.

(Y/n) was stunned to silence. The water hashira was known to take his duty seriously as a demon slayer, never sparing every single demon he has ever encountered. To hear him accepted her demon sister, and even for him to understand the state she is in—

(Y/n) was just delighted.

A soft smile played on her lips before they were interrupted by a kakushi scrambling into the room, carrying the news of a mission assigned directly by Kagaya-sama. He must have ran all the way here from the Ubayashiki's estate, since the kakushi's headquarter that (Y/n) was staying at were some way further outside of the village.

"Thank you."

She wasn't sure if he heard it, but it was sincere. (Y/n) got up from her spot and left to see to her mission.

•••

Giyuu thought that after several conversations and an exchange of greetings with (Y/n), he opted to let her know that she is not alone and that he understood her. He once had a sister of his own, and losing her had left a deep impact to his life, wounds and scars later adding up more after Sabito's lost.

And so, as a colleague and fellow Hashiras (and friend?), Giyuu hoped that their little exchange and after he told her how he truly felt regarding the matter of Nezuko's state had lifted atleast the tiniest bit amount of burdens from her shoulder, before she departed for her mission.

•••

Two days later, his old crow came to rest on his shoulder as he was enjoying his lunch while carrying the news of the Sun Hashira, (Y/n) Kamado that has been consumed by demon.

•••

Word count, roughly around 1200.