Chapter 2

The next morning, Owlpaw's eyes slowly opened. He could see that all of his denmates weren't there. He was alone. Slowly getting up, the warm dawn air hit Owlpaw's brown tabby fur. He could tell it was ruffled and little moss pieces clung to it. Then, he remembered that he would be hunting today with his sister. He started to squeal with excitement, picking out pieces of moss that clung on to him.

As he licked his ruffled fur, he thought that all he wanted to do today was rest. Yesterday's tour really pushed past his own limits, and all of his muscles were sore. He wondered if Honeypaw felt the same way.

The moment his head lifted, he noticed that a cat was approaching the apprentice den. Owlpaw made out that the scent was his mentor. Fogbreeze stopped at the entrance of the den and peered inside to see his apprentice grooming his fur in his nest. For a moment, Owlpaw pretended not to notice his mentor and continued to lick his fur, until Fogbreeze cleared his throat.

"It's time for your first hunting lesson," He finally said, twitching his tail as he left the den.

Letting out a delighted purr, Owlpaw bounced after him.

When he stepped into the clearing, sure enough, the sun was just beginning to rise. Several cats were already putting themselves to work. The clan deputy, Skywing, was by the meeting rock, flicking his tail as he surveyed the warriors around him.

"Cloudlight, would you lead the dawn patrol today?" The small black tom nodded to the light blue-gray warrior. "You can take Lightpaw as well."

The tom nodded and turned to call his apprentice, but he seemed to have overheard and hurried over, his blue eyes shining. "Dawn patrol? That sounds great!"

Beyond them, Copperpelt and Bramblefawn were leading their apprentices toward the thorn tunnel.

"So what are we learning today?" Foxpaw asked excitedly, bouncing alongside his mentor.

Copperpelt looked back at him, his green eyes filled with amusement. "We're going to practice some more battle moves."

"Battle moves?" Rabbitpaw's eyes widened at him, then she looked up at her own mentor nervously. "Are we doing that too?"

"Yes," Bramblefawn nodded, her yellow eyes softening. "But don't worry, remember it's only training."

The white apprentice relaxed a little, and the four of them headed out into the forest.

Ratleap and Fogbreeze sat waiting a few fox lengths away from the apprentices den. Honeypaw was standing beside the pale gray tom, her tail whisking back and forth across the pine needle strewn ground.

Owlpaw's mentor touched his head with his nose. "Let's leave," He meowed.

Excitedly, Owlpaw ran to the entrance of the camp with Honeypaw and their mentors following. He stopped when he left for the second time, looking around. Nothing changed except some leaves and plants and branches.

"Wait, Owlpaw!" Fogbreeze called. "You don't know where we're going. You have to follow me!"

Fogbreeze walked ahead with Ratleap following, and then Honeypaw dropped in right beside her brother. She flicked his ear with her tail. "Mouse-brain," She whispered, shaking her head with a smile.

After a few moments of walking, they finally stopped. "We're here," Ratleap informed, looking around. "This isn't the best place to catch prey, but all the hunting patrols are searching in the best areas. So, this will have to do."

"Yup," Fogbreeze agreed. "Now, let's get started with the basic hunting crouch." Ratleap sat down and nodded for Fogbreeze to continue. He watched the young warrior carefully. "You need to go very low to the ground."