I stare at the messages trying to figure out how to tell her that I don't want to attend the fundraiser, I do miss her and want to see her, but I feel so drained. Physically and emotionally. The jet lag will weigh me down, I already feel like going to sleep but I know as soon as I get in the house the first thing I'm going to do is plop down on my bed and sleep. We just can't meet up tomorrow?

You have to come. You left me without even telling me which was rude and I'm still mad at you for by the way — Hilary.

And I have so much to tell you and I know you have so much to tell me too — Hilary.

Everybody here also misses you and wants you to come tonight as well — Hilary.

Fine. I'll be there.

Pack a bag, you're staying until Monday. I'll drop you off at school. See you soon — Hilary.

I definitely need a cigarette.

"Honey, I'm home!" I announce as I step into the house, closing and locking the door after me.

"Very funny." Dad chuckles, he leans forward on the couch and set his laptop on the glass coffee table in front of him. "Welcome home, baby girl."

I set my luggage down by the stairs then quickly make my way over to the couch, sliding my feet out my slippers before sitting down besides him. "It's great to be back home."

"How was your visit?" He questions. "Did you have a good time?" My answer was a deep sigh. "That bad?"

"I mean," I bring my feet up onto the couch. "I guess we're making progress. Mom actually looked at me for the first time since the divorce."

"I'm sorry to hear that, bug." Dad squeeze my arm. "Maybe the next time will be better."

"Yeah, maybe."

He doesn't force me to visit Mom and Chloe but he encourages me to, I actually don't have to if I don't want to — he has full custody of me. But even though the visit are never truly a good visit, I visit because I want the relationship that we once had before the divorce. And for a long time both of them made it really hard to do that, Chloe came around last year and it was clear that she was forcing herself to be around me in the beginning.

But at least she was trying.

"One more question." Dad clears his throat. "Uh, what's going on with your hair? And how did you get it like this?"

"You don't like it?" I comb my fingers through my braids.

"It's not that I don't like it, I just hope you didn't do what I think you did to achieve this hairstyle."

"It's temporarily." I flip the braids over my shoulder. "It'll be out before school on Monday. It was Chloe idea. I paid for the both of our hairstyles. Is it normal for girls to spend that much on hair?"

"As the only boy who once lived in a house full of girls growing up, I can tell you for a fact that it cost a lot for woman to do their hair and very time consuming." He taps my arm twice before removing his arm from around my neck and stand up. "I know you just got home but I have to go to work. I was suppose to go in this morning but I wanted to see you before I went in."