31, doctor cameron

❝braced myself for the goodbye'cause that's all i've ever knownthen you took me by surpriseyou said, "i'll never leave you alone"❞

'cause that's all i've ever known
then you took me by surprise
you said, "i'll never leave you alone"❞

-mine, taylor swift

chapter thirty one, DOCTOR CAMERON

 "AJ!" Pope yelled as the room began to fill with smoke.

"The window, get to the window!" John B screamed at her and she let out a shaky breath before climbing into the tub, her hands fumbling with the window lock.

Pope's face emerged on the other side of the window as her hands pushed the window. She was starting to panic and the room felt like it was getting smaller.

She coughed through the smoke, her lungs burning. "We're gonna get you out!" Sarah shouted at her, hand prints covering the small window. It was sealed shut and after a moment Pope was screaming at her to get away from the window so he could break it.

She was sure that if he had known the fire spread to the bathroom already he wouldn't have said that. The sound of the cracking ceiling boards made the girl look up, the roof falling in on her. AJ screamed out in pain as she fell and the board pinned her leg, the fire quickly burned through her clothing.

"AJ!" JJ and Pope broke through the window, pushing the glass away with their hands. "She's stuck" He yelled and AJ shoved attempted to shove board off of her legs.

"I'm okay, don't come in. I'm coming out" She shouted to the pogues, finally freeing her leg and rushing to the window. Both Pope and JJ helped pull her through.

"Are you okay, how bad is it?" Pope pulled her closer as they moved away from the burning building.

"It's okay, I'm fine" She coughed.

"AJ, your bleeding" Sarah gasped, staring at the dripping blood from her leg.

"there must have been a bit of glass left over, I'm fine" She rested on the grass next to Pope as Sarah tried to wrap her leg, the injured girl leaning her weight on the boy next to her.

"what the fuck just happened?" Kiara got out, looking from AJ to the Chateau.

"It could've been a faulty electrical wire" Pope offered an explanation.

"Place was all wood, a tinderbox" Kiara shook her head.

"thing just went up. Boom" Cleo added. AJ looked to John B, the boy staring silently at his wrecked home.

"Verdicts in, bro. whoever's up there does not like you. Sorry" JJ leaned back on his hands.

"another home, poof." AJ let out, before nudging Cleo's arm. "Hey, you got any space in that room of yours?"