[ in which he is on steroids ]

Zacznij od początku

"Liam, it's your old school." He looked over at Liam, his tone serious. "Devenford Prep."

Liam visibly flinched at his words, his heartbeat quickening sporadically. He looked between Mason and Sydney for a moment, his lips moving as if he were thinking of something to say. But then he stood up, grabbing his bag and storming towards the locker room, anger fuming off of him in waves.

>>

Sydney raced after Liam, struggling to keep up with the fuming boy as he stalked his way towards the buses. Devenford had only just arrived, according to Violet, and Liam had stormed off before she even had the chance to finish her sentence. Sydney had flashed her friends an apologetic look before hurrying to catch up with the angry boy.

"Liam, can you just wait a minute!" She had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach- one that told her to calm Liam down before he did lost his temper and did something he would regret later on.

Though Liam didn't even show any signs that he heard her, his voice echoing across the quad as he stormed towards the Devenford buses, "Brett!" He walked straight up to the boy who stood at the front of the Devenford team, Sydney trailing behind him and muttering curses under her breath.

The boy, who she assumed was Brett, was tall, and had messy brown hair that was pulled into a quiff. His eyes were dark and deep, mysterious looking, and were glued onto Sydney as she stood close to Liam. His thin lips pulled into a smirk as he raised his dark eyebrows at her, his eyes traveling up and down her body. An impressed smile spread across Sydney's lips as she stared at Brett, one that Liam clearly noticed, as eyes were on her and his breathing faltered slightly.

"What do you want?" Brett's gaze suddenly snapped towards Liam, hardening into a hateful glare.

"I just wanted to say..." Liam said through clenched teeth, his shoulders were tense shaking with his heavy breathing, his face pulled into a hard look. Sydney expected him to go off on the Devenford captain, though he only simply held out his hand towards the taller kid. "Have a good game."

A high pitched, obnoxious laugh fell from Brett's lips and his eyebrows shot up, turning to look at the other Devenford students. Sydney kept her gaze glued on the cocky teenager as he looked back towards Liam. "That's cute, Liam. Is that what they told you to say in anger management?" Brett leaned against his lacrosse stick, letting out another short chuckle. "Apologize and everything's fine? You demolished coach's car."

"I paid for it," Liam said through clenched teeth, clearly doing his best to control his temper. The Devenford boys let out a few snorts, which only made Sydney want to wrap her hands around their necks and strangle them.

"Yeah, you're going to pay for it. We're going to break you in half out there," Brett retorted, the corners of his mouth turning upwards in a satisfied smirk. "And it's gonna be all your fault."

Liam's shoulder tensed and Sydney immediately slipped her hand into his, entwining their fingers and running her thumb over his palm comfortingly.

"Aw, is this your girlfriend, Liam?" Brett questioned, raising an eyebrow as he looked at Sydney once more. "You're a very beautiful girl, I have to admit. Too bad you go for the wrong people. You'd better not make Liam too angry, or he may just take a crowbar to one of your belongings."

This was enough to send Sydney over the edge. She took a step towards Brett, her hazel eyes burning with rage. "Okay, listen you little-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa." Scott suddenly appeared beside Liam, grabbing onto his shoulder as the kid advanced towards Brett. Stiles stood beside his sister, a large, obviously forced grin stretching across his lips. Sydney sent him a thankful, relieved smile as he spoke.

"Hey, what's going on prep students? Welcome to our little public highschool. How you doing?" He held out a hand towards Brett, though he only stared at it blankly. "That's a firm handshake you got there. Uh, we're very excited for the scrimmage tonight. Uh- but let's keep it clean, alright? No rough stuff out there. Alright, see you on the field." He suddenly wrapped his hands around Sydney's arm, motioning to Scott towards the building. "Go."

>>

"Are you ready to play Devenford?" Sydney asked softly as she walked beside Liam. He was dressed in his lacrosse uniform, the number 9 written clearly on the front, his helmet at his side.

"Not really," he admitted doubtfully. "They're clearly still pissed at me after what I did to coach's car. They're going to destroy me."

"Maybe they're more talk than bite," Sydney said with a shrug. "Maybe nothing will happen."

Liam scoffed and shook his head, the strong scent of anxiety coming off of him. "You don't know Devenford boys like I do."

Suddenly, two boys dressed in green and white uniforms stepped out of completely nowhere. Their thin lips were twisting into sneers as they glared at Liam, whose nostrils flared angrily.

"Good luck today, Dunbar," one boy spoke, his tone casual as he patted Liam on the shoulder. Sydney's eyebrows pulled together in confusion, cocking her head to the side as she stared at the Devenford boy. He gripped Liam's shoulder, a bit too harshly for her liking. "You're gonna need it. Today's game might just be your last."

"Is that a threat?" Sydney cocked an eyebrow, her fist clenching at her side. The Devenford boys only laughed, pushing past Liam and shoving him into the wall before disappearing around the corner. Sydney stared after them, forcing herself to remain calm as she turned back to Liam. The boy held his shoulder, glaring at the two Devenford players- though not with his usual blue eyes, instead with shining gold ones. Claws were beginning to protrude at his fingertips, his breathing becoming harsh as his shoulders shook with ragged breaths.

"Liam, calm down," Sydney spoke to him in a soft voice, though it was as if he had not heard her. He took a step towards the locker room in which the boys had disappeared into, though she stepped in front of him before he had a chance to act. "Liam, you have to remain calm."

Liam's gaze snapped towards her, his golden eyes blazing as he let out a low growl. His arms swung out, his claws connecting with her shoulder and digging deep into the skin. He pressed her against the wall, his face only inches from her own as he glared at her. Suddenly, Sydney no longer felt the pain in her shoulder, and she looked up to see Liam staring at her with guilty, blue eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed as he looked down at his hand, which he flexed and relaxed several times.

"Syd," he breathed, his eyes traveling up to her face once more. He leaned closer to her, placing his hand on her injured shoulder gently. "Sydney, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," Sydney insisted flatly, rubbing her shoulder. "It'll heal." She already felt the blood running back into her body, a new layer of skin beginning to form over the deep cuts. Though she still flinched in pain whenever she ran her hand over the wound. Liam only stared at her blankly, clearly lost for words. She placed her free hand on his cheek, running her finger along it softly. "Good luck. I'll be watching from the bleachers."