How To Make Good Wine At Home

How to Make Good Wine at Home

In many families, there is a tradition, often from generation to generation, to make wine. Here is a brief explanation of how to prepare to press grapes that had been somewhat crushed the night before.

Making a reasonably good wine at home is no more complicated than making, for example, sourdough bread. It requires, however, quite some time and some specific tools. Here are a few tips:

Tannin Level

Extended maceration is the winemaking process where red wine is left in contact with the grape skins after fermentation is complete. This technique is employed when a winemaker wishes to modify the amount, and types, of tannin present when pressing the wine into a barrel.

It may seem counterintuitive, but this extended amount of time in contact with the skins, seeds, and stems can actually soften the tannin structure of a wine that finishes fermentation with an elevated sharp tannin structure.

Whether you want a crisp mineral-driven Sauvignon Blanc or a luscious fruit-forward Syrah, you have to pay close attention to the temperature of the fermentation so that you can achieve those goals.

The Fermentation Process For White Wines

When you start with 5 gallons of grape juice (white), you'll end up with approximately 4,7 gallons of white wine. Pour the grape juice into a closeable container or carboy that's larger than the intended fermentation volume because, during the process, the wine can expand or foam to ooze from the container's top.

In the beginning, white grape juice looks green or golden, but that will change into a brownish color after it has been pressed and the fermentation process has started. It will get its pale gold or yellow color later. You should use an airlock system to allow carbon dioxide to escape and keep oxygen out.

Now you can add yeast. Yeast digests sugars to make alcohol, and many strains of yeast have been cultivated for generations for their potencies. Keep the wine juice at comfortable room temperatures, in line with what's advised in the instructions.

Within one or two days, a foam of carbon dioxide should be emitted, signaling the start of the fermentation process.

Once a day, or more often if needed, remove the stopper to stir your wine juice and the at your container's bottom. In case your wine foams out of the container when the fermentation process speeds up, just cool your container slightly.

The temperature during the fermentation process for white wine is lower than for making reds, usually between 53°F (or 12°C) and 72°F (or 22°C). Fermentation at lower temperatures will slow down the fermentation process and preserve the fruity character of the wine.

The Fermentation Process For Red Wines

For making red wines at home, you don't need an airlock or tightly closed container top during the fermentation process. For making red wine, you can use an open container that's big enough and use a thin piece of plywood or a towel on top for keeping fruit flies and dust out. After you've added wine yeast, stir your juice well, and within 12 hours, the fermentation process will start.

When the fermentation process is going strong, red wines should be stirred (also called "punched down") at least twice a day. You'll notice a "cap" of grape skins floating to the top, and these skins will have to be submerged (punched) back into your grape juice to keep them wet. This is required for the juice to get its desired color and extract flavor compounds from the grape skins.

To stimulate this extraction process, it is advisable (for making red wines) to keep the temperature during the fermentation process at 80°F (or 26.5°C) or more.

Check Sugar Levels

You should measure the sugar levels of your fermenting juice regularly. The sugar level is measured in degrees Brix. In the beginning, the sugar level of your juice will be some 18 to 26 degrees Brix, but once the fermentation process is complete, it will be reduced to minus-2 Brix.

The fermentation process for white wine may vary from a few days to several weeks, depending on the temperature. The rule of thumb is: the cooler the fermentation environment, the longer the process will take. The fermentation process for red wine, when taking place at a good, warm temperature, is usually complete in around two weeks.

By the time the fermentation process is complete, you can separate your new wine from fermentation gross lees. You can now pour your wine into, for example, a five-gallon container or carboy to mature.

For your white wine, just use a tube and siphon off the wine juice, and leave the lees to be dumped. Elevate your fermentation container a few feet above the container or carboy that you will use for aging while starting the flow by sucking the tube. Gravity will then complete the job.

For reds, transfer your juice to a container or carboy and press the skins hard to squeeze out as much of the remaining juice as possible. You can add this to your container or carboy and use an airlock to top it off.

Protecting Your Creation

Since the fermentation process is completed, there's no carbon dioxide released any longer. So, to protect your creation from premature oxidation, keep your container or carboy topped up as much as possible and minimize how often you open it.

FAQ

If I add more yeast, will my wine be stronger? - If you want to increase the alcohol percentage in your wine, you can add sugar during the fermentation process. Adding yeast is useless. Your wine has enough yeast to support the process. So no, that will not make your wine stronger.

Do I have to cover my wine during the fermentation process? - For making White wines, you should use an airlock to protect your wine from getting contaminated. However, should you leave the airlock and lid off and the process is timely and vigorously (usually with red wines), there's hardly any chance of your wine getting compromised.

How long will my wine last? - If you store your wine out of light, your homemade wine should keep for at least one year. Beware, however, to keep the storage temperature without severe temperature fluctuations. If you would add sulfites to your wine before bottling it, your wine may keep for several years.

Does my wine improve with age? - Often, people think that the quality of their homemade wine improves as it ages. This is not necessarily true, however. The fact of the matter is that only very few wines improve after a certain age. Most wines are best after one to three years.

How much yeast should I use for one gallon of wine? - The rule of thumb is to use approximately 1/8 tsp. of wine yeast per gallon of grape juice.

Should the fermentation process be in the dark? - As a general rule, you can say that you should always protect your wine from ultraviolet light. Light can interfere with the fermentation process and harm the wine yeast. So be careful, especially when using a glass container or carboy.

How can I see that the fermentation process is done? - To determine if the fermentation process is complete, you can measure the gravity with a refractometer or hydrometer.