~twelve~

A few days after their daughter's birth, Nina and Alejandro found themselves sitting in the cozy living room of their Bogotá apartment, surrounded by baby clothes, toys, and gifts from well-wishers. Their little bundle of joy lay in a crib nearby, sleeping peacefully as the afternoon sunlight streamed through the curtains.

"So, have you given any more thought to names?" Alejandro asked, a playful smile dancing on his lips.

Nina chuckled softly, glancing at her husband.

"I have, but I'm still open to suggestions."

Alejandro shifted closer to her on the couch, taking her hand in his.

"Well, I've been thinking about our grandmothers. They were both such strong and wonderful women."

Nina's eyes softened with warmth as she remembered her Abuela Lucia and Alejandro's Abuela Isabella. Both had been a significant presence in their lives, instilling in them the values and traditions that had shaped their identities.

"Isabella Luciana," Alejandro suggested.

Nina's heart swelled with emotion, and she looked into Alejandro's eyes, feeling an overwhelming surge of love for him.

"I love it," She said, her voice soft and tender, "Isabella Luciana Santiago-Mendoza."

Alejandro beamed with delight, feeling a rush of happiness at the thought of their daughter carrying the legacies of their beloved grandmothers in her name.

As they settled on the name, they began to envision the life they would build with their daughter. They talked about the adventures they would share as a family, the love they would shower her with, and the values they would impart on her as she grew.

"I want her to know the richness of her heritage," Nina said, her voice filled with determination, "Both Colombian and Guatamalen."

Alejandro nodded, his heart swelling with pride for his wife's devotion to their daughter's future.

"She will know her roots, her culture, and the love that surrounds her," He affirmed.

In the days that followed, Nina and Alejandro settled into the rhythm of parenthood. They took turns caring for Isabella Lucia, sharing the late-night feedings and diaper changes, and marveling at each little milestone she reached.

And so, in their cozy apartment in Bogotá, Nina and Alejandro found happiness in the little moments that made up their everyday lives. They had overcome obstacles and faced their own demons, but through it all, they had come out stronger, ready to embrace the love and joy that awaited them as a family.

As Alejandro stepped out to run a quick errand to the store, Nina found herself alone with Isabella for the first time since Javier had come back into their lives. She felt a wave of panic wash over her, unsure of how to handle the responsibilities of motherhood all on her own.

Isabella was peacefully sleeping in her crib, her tiny chest rising and falling with each breath. Nina took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. She had read countless books on parenting and had received advice from friends and family, but when it came to the actual care of her baby, she felt like a complete novice.

Just as Nina was about to check Isabella's diaper, she heard a soft knock on the door. She opened it to find Javier standing there with a warm smile.

"Hey, I thought I'd come by and see how my favorite little sobrina is doing," Javier said, stepping inside.

Nina welcomed the distraction and the help.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here," She sighed with relief, "I'm still trying to figure this whole motherhood thing out."