Chapter 102: Everafters

Brenna

Pain coursed through my body as I tackled Laura. This had to end... now.

I straddled Laura chest as I wrapped my hands around her throat and squeezed hard, preventing her from uttering another spell as a gurgling sound erupted from her throat. There were more gunshots, but I couldn't look to see what was happening and who was shot. If I didn't kill Laura now while I had the chance, we wouldn't make it out of here alive. Her magic was much too powerful.

I could face off against wolves any day of the week or even other witches, but without my magic, I didn't stand a chance against Laura's magic, let alone Fletcher's.

Another gunshot rang out and suddenly there was a pinch in my shoulder, but I kept squeezing her throat and pulled until I ripped her head off. Blood gushed from the cavity as her head rolled across the floor, her eyes fixed as shock colored her face.

Filled with adrenaline, I stood, and Adan had blown Fletcher's brains across the floor and the far wall, but blood was pouring from Adan's leg. I ran toward him, never so happy to see him in my life.

"Brenna!" he yelled, catching me as I fell into his arms, and we both landed on the floor together.

"Adan, are you all right?" I asked, lying across his lap.

Sirens ran out in the distance, growing louder.

"I'm fine. Fletcher just shot my leg." Tears filled his eyes as he held me, and then I realized... that he knew.

"But the blood—" My eyes started to close, but I had to know that Adan would live, no matter what happened to me.

"Brenna, promise me you won't die...." He stroked the hair away from my face as he gazed into my eyes. "I can't live without you."

"Yes, you can," I breathed, my body already feeling light. "I love you, Adan."

A smile lit his lips as tears ran down his cheeks. "I love you too, Baby Girl." Then he bent down and gently kissed my lips.

Just as my eyes started to close, wind swirled around us. Then suddenly, a bright white light shot from Laura's and Fletcher's bodies as it shot into me, lifting me off the ground. Magic filled me as the silver wristband fell to the floor.

As electricity and bright white light filled my body, I realized what was happening. When a witch dies, his or her magic is passed to another witch. And with Laura and Fletcher both dead, I was receiving centuries of magic that had been passed down from witch to witch throughout the ages.

All of a sudden, the image of a beautiful woman with long white hair filled my mind. Instinctively knew it was Selene, the Moon Goddess, and she was smiling. "Magic never dies little one. Only the host." Then she laid her hand on my chest, and all pain immediately left my body. I was slowly lowered to my feet as she said, "Use this power for good, and serve me well."

A moment later, my bare feet touched the cold, cement floor.

"Brenna, are you all right?" Adan asked, his eyes wide as he got to his feet.

I nodded and crossed the room to him as Nikoa looked on in awe, his eyes wide. Suddenly, centuries of spells from witches and Luna's past filled my mind, and I knew what to do.

"Sana, sana, sana," I repeated over and over as I pressed my hand to Adan's leg. Suddenly, the blood that had pooled on the floor from his leg began to retract back to his body, and the tip of the bullet was suddenly visible on the surface of his skin.

My eyes met his as a smile lit my lips. "This is going to hurt."

Adan nodded, bracing himself as Nikoa rushed to his friend, holding his shoulders up as he knelt at his side.