Chapter 100: Neverafter

Adan

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, I pulled Conner through the dark stone hallway, heading toward his father's cell. Oddly enough, it was quiet. Darius wasn't yelling and screaming, as usual. He must have grown hoarse.

I laughed at the thought.

When we approached the heavy wooden door of his cell, Zeke and Joe were standing at attention outside. "Guards, open the door."

"Aye!" they both yelled in unison.

But when they opened it, no one was there.

A huge smile spread across Conner's face.

The whole attack was a diversion.

"Where is your father?" I demanded, shaking Conner with both hands.

He shrugged. "How should I know? I'm just glad he got out safely."

"At the expense of half your Pack?" I backhanded him hard across the face.

Conner scoffed, his eyes wide. "Hey, at least it saved my father. Without him, there is no Pack."

"Well, you're right about that because you sure aren't fit to be an Alpha." I shoved him toward Nikoa. "Hold him and make sure he doesn't escape."

"With pleasure." Nikoa grabbed both of Conner's arms, gritting his teeth as he looked into his eyes. "You're damn lucky I'm not the Alpha of this Pack. If you'd have pulled that stunt at my Pack, I would have lined you up beside your men and killed you in the courtyard."

Conner gulped but didn't say a word.

I scoffed, shaking my head. "I just might yet." Storming out the cell doors, I looked both ways but saw nothing.

I grabbed the guards by the throat and pinned them both against the stone wall. "Where did Darius go?"

"What?" Joe, one of the guards, asked, his eyes wide. "I have no idea what you're talking about! Darius was in there yelling this morning!"

"How long ago was it that he stopped yelling?" I asked Zeke, the other guard.

"Not long ago!" he gasped, his eyes wide.

"And you didn't check on him?" My voice bellowed throughout the hallway.

"We did this morning!" Joe yelled. "I thought he'd given up yelling or had worn himself out!"

It was exactly what I had thought. "You should have checked him!"

Zeke shrugged, unaffected by my hands squeezing his throat. "I was just glad for the peace and quiet."

"Well, he's gone!" I yelled, squeezing their throats even tighter. "Did you see or hear anything?"

"Alpha Cole, I swear I saw nothing!" Zeke replied, his eyes wide. Although they weren't quite warriors yet, both Zeke and Joe were strong young guards working their way up to becoming great warriors. I let them go. "You had better hope I find him. That is, if you both still want to become warriors."

"Aye!" they both yelled in unison, nodding their heads.

Just then, Gordon, one of Brenna's guards, ran down the hallway headed right toward me.

"What is it, man?" I asked, fearing the worst.

"The Queen's Guards, Cory and Harper, are dead!" he yelled. "Truth is with their bodies now."

"And the Queen?" My heart stopped. If anything happened to Brenna....

"Gone."

Seeing nothing but red, I yanked Conner away from Nikoa and pulled him over to the wall. Then I wrapped one of the chains around his neck as he gasped. "You'd better start talking now before I pull your head off!"