Chapter 99: Magic

Brenna

Watching from the windows at the battlefield below, Adan had just cut off of the heads of the warriors who wouldn't yield... and Dominic was one of them.

During the battle, it took everything I had not to grab my sword, rush out to the courtyard, and join the fight. But Adan had asked me to stay here.

Against my better judgment, I decided to abide by my Mate's wishes.

Suddenly, gold and red light flashed in the room behind me, reflecting on the walls and windows. I dove for my sword, knowing it had to be a witch. But just as I reached it, the sword flew across the room of its own accord and into the far wall, out of reach.

"So, you're still in here?"

My head snapped up and Laura was standing behind me, blocking the doorway as red and gold sparkles dissipated around her, fading away. She must have been on the battlefield below and had teleported here after Dominic was killed.

"A part of me thought you'd be out there in the heat of the battle, fighting." She chuckled, inclining her head toward the courtyard below. "But I see you've decided to sit this one out."

"What are you doing here?" I squared my shoulders, having no reason to show fear in front of her. "Get out!"

"Uh-uh-uh!" She smiled, wagging her finger playfully in front of her, her eyes wild, enjoying my discomfort a bit too much. "Oh, I'm leaving all right, but you're coming with me."

"Like hell I am!" I reached for my sword, concentrating hard, trying to remember the basic spells from the Grimoire Magenta had given me when I became a Luna. "Gladius, veni ad me!"

The sword flew swiftly from the wall and was in my hands within a second. I raised it high before me, clutching it with both hands as power rushed through me. I brought it down hard at her before she had time to think, but she easily dodged out of the way. Although I still had a lot to learn about this world, my magic was heightened when I was filled with adrenaline.

"Guards!"

No one rushed in.

"Guards!" I yelled louder.

Nothing.

Laura folded her arms in front of her, a wicked smile lighting her lips as she waited, tilting her head to the side.

"What have you done?" Rage coursed through my body as I envisioned my men outside mine and Adan's suite, slaughtered.

"Let's just say... they won't be disturbing us."

"You bitch!" I swung my sword toward her, but she raised her hand and yelled, "Gladius, Brennae iugulum resiste!"

All of a sudden, the sword broke free of my hand and stopped firmly against my throat in mid-air. I moved toward her, but the pain at my throat stopped me in my tracks. "Release me!"

Laura sauntered toward me, one corner of her lips curling into a wicked smile. "After what Adan did to Dominic? I think not. Besides, someone else wants you more than I do." She lifted one shoulder. "If I had my way about it, I'd kill you where you stand."

"Dominic was a traitor! He brought his death upon himself!" I scoffed, shaking my head as I lowered my voice. "But if it had been up to me, I would have killed him, too. It's the only punishment for a traitor."

"A traitor?" Laura's voice raged as she lifted her hand toward the sword, causing it to push farther into my throat. Hot blood trickled down my neck. "He wanted a better world and was willing to do anything to get it!"