Chapter 98: Aftermath

Adan

"I-I have the advantage!" Conner's sword shook as he pointed his blade at me. "The Snow Warrior Pack is rightfully mine!"

"Not anymore." I slammed my sword at him, and he surprised me by countering with a jab. But I lunged toward him, slamming my sword against his, and it fell to the ground, gleaming red under the bright light of the Blood Moon. I grabbed him into a headlock from behind as he flailed his arms. "Do not move, or you will die."

He stopped moving. Obviously, he didn't want to die.

I turned toward the field, and Nikoa and his men were fighting alongside my men, and to my surprise, Hailey was among them. She had always been one of my best warriors. I was glad she had put our differences aside and had come to my aid with Nikoa, along with Ember.

"Stop fighting now and lay down your weapons, or he dies!" I yelled over the din of clashing swords and growling wolves and Lycans, capturing everyone's attention.

One of the Snow Warriors saw what was happening and raised his arms in surrender, laying his sword at his feet. "Everyone, lay down your weapons, or the Prince dies!"

The fighting stopped a moment later.

"I do not wish to kill you, but the Snow Warrior Pack is now mine!" I yelled over the stillness. "If you do not wish to be a part of it, tell me now, and I will grant you a swift death! But if you lay down your swords now, I'll forgive your insolence and will let you live!"

Nearly everyone laid down their swords except a few.

"Wyatt, hold Conner and make sure he doesn't escape!" I pushed Conner toward him, and Wyatt grabbed him firmly.

"With pleasure." Wyatt smirked as he pulled Conner to his chest, holding a knife to his throat.

I drew my sword and advanced toward the men who would not yield. "This is your last chance. Throw down your weapons now, or you will surely die."

The men were on their knees, and one looked up at me, his eyes filled with hate. "Never!"

"Then you shall be the first to die." I brought my sword down hard and sliced off his head in one clean swoop as his body fell forward, and his head rolled by my feet, blood pouring from the cavity. Then I pointed my bloody sword at the other men. "Men, you can still change your mind."

Two men stood and backed away, then got down on one knee. "This day, I pledge my loyalty to you, Alpha Adan Cole."

The other pledged his loyalty, too.

"Traitor!" yelled one of the men, still on his knees. He was the next to die.

Then I went down the line and made short work of cutting off the heads of the men who wouldn't yield. There would be no trial. Not this time.

Then I came to Dominic, Dane, and Mason, who were also on their knees.

Dane was first. H had killed his roommate and now this. Hard telling wat other crimes he had committed. No matter what happened today, he must die a traitor's death. I made quick work of Dane, cutting off his head cleanly, showing him mercy as his body slumped forward.

My heart sank when my eyes met Dominic's. "You know, it didn't have to be this way, Dom."

He nodded, resolve in his eyes. "I know. But after this, you'll never trust me again."

"I know." Tears filled my eyes as I contemplated what had to be done. "Goodbye, my friend. You are a great warrior."

"Goodbye, my friend." One corner of Dominic's lips curled into a smile. "Until we meet again."

Then he leaned his head over, ready. I reared back my sword and let it swing, taking his head off in one clean blow.

I looked up at Mason and sighed. "Mason, I'm really disappointed—"

"Wait!" His eyes were wide as he held up his hands. "I have information for you!"

I laughed, shaking my head. This was how he had survived all these years. He was an information broker. I don't know why it took me so long to see it.

"And you think that will make me trust you again?"

"No, but it'll make a difference." A smile lit his lips. He knew me well.

"And what do you want in exchange for this information?" As if I didn't already know.

"Spare my life and sentence me to prison or banish me, and I'll tell you everything you want to know."

I thought for a moment, debating. After killing Dominic, a lifelong friend, I didn't have the heart to kill another, although I would never say as much to Mason. I nodded toward Simon, who was standing close. "Bring him. Let's hear what he has to say."

Mason let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank you—"

"Do not thank me yet," I growled, pointing my sword at his throat. "Your information had better be good, or you will suffer the same fate as Dominic."

Mason gulped. "Agreed."

"Now," I said, wiping the blood off my blade and flinging it upon the ground joining the blood of my fallen warriors. "The rest of you will swear your loyalty to me. And if you ever raise your sword against me or my people again, you will meet the same fate as your friends!" I pointed my sword toward the fallen warriors, a clear example of the fate that awaited them if they didn't comply. This ended today.

"I so swear!" They all yelled in unison.

I looked over, and Nikoa, Haley, and Nikoa's other men nodded their approval.

"What would you like me to do with this one?" Wyatt asked, a smile lighting his lips as Conner struggled against his grasp.

"I have other plans for him. Conner, you're coming with me." I grabbed his arm and pulled him toward the castle.

"Never!" Conner yelled, struggling against my grasp. "Let me go!"

"You have a lot to learn, young one," I growled, staring daggers into his eyes. "Since your father didn't teach you any better."

"Leave my father out of this!"

I stopped and backhanded him hard across the face, the ultimate insult to a warrior. But he was no warrior. "Shut up before I change my mind and kill you right here and now!"

Conner glared at me but didn't say anything more.

Simon was a few paces behind us, leading Mason along with his hands tied behind his back. There was no way I would ever trust him again no matter what information he had. Not after everything he had done. But I was a man of my word. If the information was good, I would let him live, but I couldn't guarantee where. A primitive hole in the ground came to mind.

Nikoa was hot on my heels. "Nikoa, thank you for coming on such short notice."

"What?" One corner of his lips curled into a smile. "And miss a battle... on the night of the Blood Moon? Not on your life. Thanks for calling."

"So, isn't the Blood Moon affecting you?" I glanced over at him as I pulled Conner up the stairs and pushed the doors open. I was surprised that it was no longer affecting me as it had just hours before.

He lifted one shoulder. "I claimed a Mate."

My head snapped toward him. "Hailey?"

He nodded. "After your Brenna confronted her, Hailey realized it was truly over between you two, and she was finally ready to commit to me. I claimed her before she changed her mind."

"I'm glad," I nodded in understanding. "Hailey deserves to be happy." I smiled as I looked into his eyes. "And so do you."

"Thank you." A smile lit his lips. "I'm glad you approve. Your friendship means the world to me."

"As your friendship does to me." I pulled Conner down the stairs to the dungeon while I spoke to Nikoa. "Should you ever need anything—"

"Oh, don't worry," he chuckled, cutting me off. "I'll be sure to call."

***

A/N: I love Nikoa!  What do you think of Nikoa and Hailey together now?