Chapter 97: Death Wish

Adan

Ring, ring, ring!

I opened my eyes, and it was still dark outside.

Ring, ring, ring!

Then everything hit me at once and I was suddenly wide awake. I sat up and quickly slid my phone from the nightstand and answered it. "Talk to me."

"Alpha, there's been a breach!" Wyatt yelled at the other end of the phone as soon as I answered. "We're under attack! They're coming over the wall!"

I sat straight up in bed, trying to get my bearings. My eyes shot over to the clock, and it was three o'clock in the morning. "Wyatt, sound the alarm! I'm on my way." I threw my phone on the nightstand.

"What's going on?" Brenna sat up, her eyes half-mast.

"Stay here." I jumped out of bed and slipped on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. "Don't leave this suite, no matter what you hear. The castle is under attack." I gave her a quick kiss, my eyes filled with worry. "Make sure the sliding glass doors are locked as well as the door to your suite. Stay inside, and don't go onto the terrace. I'll be back as soon as I can. Don't worry. The guards will still be posted outside your door, so don't go anywhere!"

I slipped into my boots, grabbed my sword off the wall, and rushed out, locking the door behind me. "Guard your Queen! Do not leave your post!" I yelled over my shoulder to the guards posted outside our door.

"Aye!" They yelled in unison behind me as I rushed past.

I headed down the stairs, taking two at a time. When I reached the first floor, young warriors stood inside, their eyes wide, swords in hand. They had no business being out on the castle grounds where the actual fighting was taking place.

"Stay inside and defend the castle!" If the castle is breached, we'll need all the help we can get, but I didn't want them on the front lines.

"Aye!" They yelled at once.

Through the glass doors. To my surprise, Lycans and wolf-shifters were coming over the wall. My Pack Warriors were waiting in the courtyard but were sorely outnumbered.

Yanking the phone out of my pocket, I texted nine-one-one to Nikoa, Alpha of the Silver Star Pack. It was a code we had between us. If either of us texted that to the other, we were to come—prepared for a full-scale attack—no questions asked. I just hoped that Hailey hadn't turned him against me.

But I quickly pushed the thought aside as I shoved the phone back into my pocket and raced onto the lawn filled with Lycans and Arctic wolves, as well as Mason, Dominic, and Dane Dawson, the Lycan.

I now knew why he had killed his roommate. Colin probably discovered that Dane was a mole for the Snow Warrior Pack and Dane killed him for it.

His eyes locked with mine and his snout suddenly elongated as primitive fangs protruded from his mouth, reaching down past his chin as black fur sprouted all over him. He ripped his shirt off as his body grew along with his claws, his legs that of a wolf, even though he was still standing on two legs.

Dane wasn't the only one. There were many others.

No wonder Darius was so convinced he could beat me and take over this area as Alpha Supreme.

"Do not let anyone in the castle!" I yelled at two warriors, already standing guard at the top of the stairs beside the huge glass doors. "Fortify the castle!"

"Aye!" they yelled, already on guard, their swords drawn, prepared to fight. One of them ran inside and suddenly huge metal sheets erupted from within the castle walls, covering all of the windows and doors.

I made my way through the fighting on the field, taking a Lycan's head off as I passed, looking for Conner. If he wanted a war, then he just got one. And he was going to pay the ultimate price, along with Dane, Mason, and Dominic... but Conner was going to be the first to die.

I spotted him near the main gates with guards standing before him. The coward had sent his men to fight along with the Lycans in his stead and held some back guards for himself.

"Conner Snow!" I yelled, running my sword through a wolf who jumped in front of me, my arms flexing with the effort. The warrior fell, revering back to his human form, his eyes already fixed before he hit the ground. "Stop this now unless you want to die today!"

"Give me my father, and I'll order my men to stand down!" he yelled, donning his fighting stance as three men stood before him. Yes, it was easy to be brave when standing behind other warriors.

"Never! Your father will pay for his crimes! He was responsible for my parents' deaths and the attack on Brenna's Pack! There's no way I'm going to just let that go!"

When I drew near, one of his men reared back his sword and brought it down at me hard, but I caught it with my blade and twisted it out of his hands. Then I ran him through just as one of the other guards leaped toward me in his wolf form. I stabbed him through the heart in mid-air. He immediately reverted back to his human form just as he hit the ground. Now, there was only one guard left standing between Conner and me.

"Do you really want to die today?" I asked Conner's guard, tilting my head to the side.

"If that's what is asked of me," he replied, his eyes filled with resolve. From his stance, he was from the old guard and experienced.

"Then so be it." I brought my sword down hard at his head, but he caught it with his blade and twisted out of it. Obviously, he was more of a fighter than the other two warriors. I lunged toward him, and he turned away and sliced my arm. Pain filled my body, but I saw nothing but red. I had to end this... now.

I brought my blade down hard over and again as the battle raged around us, but he blocked each of my blows and twisted his sword, attempting to unarm me, but I was having none of it. Using all my strength, I brought my sword down on him repeatedly as fast as I could, and he caught every strike. But then he turned right when he should have gone left, and my sword went right through his shoulder, nearly cutting off his arm.

He howled in pain as his arm hung uselessly at his side.

"Yield," I panted, my eyes flaring as I moved to the right, trying to get to Conner, but the warrior pitted himself between us, even in his weakened state.

"Never." His breaths came quickly as blood gushed down his arm. Even though he was a wolf, he wouldn't live long if he continued to fight.

"Why are you willing to die for him?" I pointed my blade toward Conner. "A selfish, spoiled child without honor?"

"How dare you?" Conner yelled, but his warrior and I both ignored him.

"I owe my life to his father, Darius," he breathed, "and you will not kill his son. Not while I still have breath in my body."

"His son should have thought about that before he invaded my castle with an army." I ran my sword through his chest, bringing him close. "It didn't have to be this way, Warrior." Then I twisted the blade while still in his chest, and he drew his last breath. I held him as he died and slowly placed his lifeless body on the ground. He deserved no less than my respect, having died an honorable death.

Now, there was nothing standing between Conner and me as I walked purposefully toward him. "You must really have a death wish."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Comment below. :-)