Chapter 91: Blood Moon

Brenna

After saying our goodbyes, I took Adan's hands and said, "Traiceret, my living room!" A moment later, we were rushing through the Space-Time Continuum, past stars and dark matter as wind rushed past us both. We stopped a moment later in my living room.

Adan placed his hands gently on my cheeks as he looked into my eyes. "Wait for me here. I'll be right back."

"Wait... what? Where are you going?" I motioned toward the window and the sun was beginning to fade. "It'll be dark soon! The Blood Moon—"

"Do you trust me?" he asked, sincerity coloring his eyes.

"Yes, of course I do," I replied. "But during the Blood Moon, you can't help taking any wolf in sight! None of us can!"

"Brenna, I'm the Alpha of this Pack, and my Beta has betrayed me. There's no one else to see to the safety of this Pack but me. Please understand." Adan pressed his lips firmly to mine, then he pulled away. "I have to check on the Pack, but I'll be right back."

"Then I'm going with you—" I said, following him into the hallway.

"No!" his voice bellowed in the hallway and my guards pretended not to notice. But he quickly calmed himself. "Brenna, go in your suite and wait for me there. I'll be right back."

I nodded as I slowly back away. "Don't take too long."

"I won't." Then Adan turned toward my guards. "Cory, send some guards to see that Knox gets to his suite safely and have them check on Magenta and Willow while they're there."

"But the Queen—" Cory said.

"Hurry." Adan gave him a stern look. "Harper and I will see to the Queen in your absence."

"Aye!" they both said in unison.

Cory headed down the hallway toward the stairs, leaving me to wonder what else this night would bring.

"Please, go inside." Adan gave me a small smile as he kissed my forehead.

I nodded and did as he said, hoping neither of us regretted it.

***

Adan

A moment later, Cory returned.

"Neither of you will abandon your post tonight. I shall be back momentarily."

"Aye!" Cory and Harper said in unison, jerking their heads up as they snapped to attention.

I needed to make sure that everything was set for the Blood Moon... that everyone was safe. I headed down the stairs taking two at a time and sprinted across the lawn to the front gate. "Wyatt, are the gates and walls secure?"

"Aye." Wyatt had claimed a Mate and married her years ago, so the Blood Moon had no effect on him. His eyes filled with concern as he took me in. "Everything's secure, and there's been no sign of attack. But rest assured, Alpha, we'll be ready just in case. All of the Mated men have taken their posts and are in position."

"Good. That's what I wanted to hear." Then I thought of something. "Wyatt, Dane Dawson still hasn't surfaced, and I think he was instrumental in betraying our Pack. Also, he killed his roommate, Collin. But be careful. He's a Lycan."

Wyatt's eyes widened but he quickly recovered himself. "If there's any sign of him, I'll let you know."

I nodded appreciatively. "Also, be on the lookout for Conner Snow. All we need right now is for the Snow Warrior Pack to attack while we're at our weakest." My breaths were coming hard, and the urge to Mate was strong, stronger than it had ever been before.

"The Blood Moon is probably affecting Conner, as well." A crease formed between Wyatt's eyes. "Adan, if I may say so, you should be with your Mate right now." He placed his hand on my shoulder and nodded toward the sky. "Look. The Blood Moon is already on the rise."

My head snapped up. It was slowly growing dim outside, and the red Blood Moon was rising, as he had said. Soon, I would have no control over my actions. "Call me on my cell if you need me. I don't care what time of the day or night it is."

"I will."

"Oh, and Wyatt?"

His head snapped up, eyebrows raised.

"Thank you... for everything."

He nodded once as one corner of his lips curled into a sly smile. "Now, get inside before I have to fight the women off for you."

I laughed, shaking my head. "There's only one woman I want."

Wyatt nodded, his smile fading. "Yes, but the Blood Moon doesn't know that." His eyes filled with concern. "Go... before the Moon Goddess decides to give you another woman."

I nodded, knowing I would defy heaven and hell to stay with Brenna. But he was right. I had to hurry inside before the urge to Mate got too intense.

"Alpha, did you decide to participate in the Blood Moon Games after all?" Celeste, a beautiful she-wolf, approached, flipping her long blonde hair over her shoulder. "They're building the bonfire now."

During the Blood Moon, everyone dresses formally and gathers around the bonfire as music plays. Then wolves start kissing and groping each other as they dance. Some pair off and claim mates while others enjoy a full-on orgy, fucking every one of the opposite sex who comes near them, unable to control themselves.

Wyatt was right. I needed to go... now.

"Good. Go enjoy." I ran past Celeste and into the castle, leaving her to make her own choices. But I'd already made mine.

"Alpha," Kydriss, a lovely brunette warrior she-wolf, pulled my head down and crushed her lips to mine when I entered the castle.

"Go to your room unless you want to participate in the Games."

I ascended the stairs to my suite, leaving her to make her own choices, just as I had Celeste. The sooner I got to Brenna, the better.

Brenna's guards snapped to attention when they saw me, looking straight ahead. I rolled my eyes, knowing I should have selected guards with Mates during the course of the Blood Moon. They would both be panting after every she-wolf who came near and was sure to neglect their duties.

"You both are relieved of duty for the duration of the Blood Moon."

"What?" they both asked in unison.

"We can handle this," Harper replied.

"Go. Enjoy the Blood Moon. It won't be held against you." I let out a deep breath, a smile lighting my lips. "But right now the Queen needs guards who won't be quite so... distracted."

Cory nodded slowly. "We'll wait to leave until the other guards arrive."

"Thanks." I took the cell phone out of my pocket and dialed Wyatt's number.

"Alpha?" Wyatt answered on the first ring.

"Get two Mated guards up here to guard the Queen." I started to hang up but then added. "By the way, you are now my new Beta, if you want the job."

"Thank you, My King." There was a pause at the other end. "I'll have two men up there right away. And about being your Beta, thank you. I won't let you down."

"I know you won't." I clicked off the phone and turned to Cory and Harper. "Do not move from your post until your relief comes. Then, you're free to enjoy. The Blood Moon is already rising, and they're starting the bonfire."

"Aye," they both said.

I walked into my suite and knocked on the adjoining door. Brenna flung it open and threw herself into my arms. I scooped her up and crushed my lips to hers as I carried her into my suite.

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Will they finally be able to claim each other as Mates?