Chapter 88: Aftermath

Adan

After giving the order, rage filled me as I headed toward the castle. I shuddered to think of how close Brenna had come to being killed. Thank goodness Knox had jumped in front of her and took the blade instead, but I hated that he might die because of it. Regardless, I owed him a debt that I'd never be able to repay.

"Sire." A young maid held a robe out to me when I walked through the doors, and I slipped it on. It wasn't proper to be nude in the common areas of the castle. Even though nudity was expected and a way of life for us, it was considered disrespectful within the confines of the castle.

Instead of heading straight up to check on Knox and Brenna, I had to speak with Darius first. If his son were mine, he would be severely punished for not adhering to my wishes. After pushing open the doors leading to the dungeon, I headed straight toward his cell.

"Let me out of here!" Darius yelled down the hallway, growing louder as I approached. "I'm the King of the Snow Warrior Pack!"

I smirked as I shot a look at the two guards standing outside his cell. "Let me enter but stand fast at your post."

"Aye!" both guards said in unison, unlocking the cell so I could enter.

In the cell, Darius was chained to the far wall with manacles bound tightly around his wrists. The silver band was still attached snuggly to his wrist, preventing him from shifting.

"How dare you treat me like this?" He yanked at the manacles, rattling the chains. "I am the King of the Snow Warrior Pack!"

"Not anymore." I closed the distance between us, stopping about three feet away. "According to the rules of war that you agreed upon before we fought, the Snow Warrior Pack is now mine to do with as I please." I shuddered to think of what he had planned for Brenna, if he had won.

Darius gnashed his teeth, growling. "The Snow Warrior Pack is mine!"

I casually shook my head, taking a step closer. Then I gripped his snow-white hair and pulled his head back hard as I looked into my eyes. "When you came after my Brenna and me and disrupted our wedding, you forfeited any hope of walking out of here with your Pack. I'll pass judgment on you after the Blood Moon. But rest assured, you will die for your crimes."

He clenched his jaw, a hint of fear in his eyes. "Did you kill my son? Because that would be the only way you'll get my Pack."

I scoffed, laughing without humor. "So, that's the reason why you wagered it! If you lost, you knew your son wouldn't let the Pack go without a fight."

"Answer me!" He gritted his teeth, speaking slowly and precisely, ignoring my comment. "Did you... kill... my son?"

"No, but he's lucky I didn't."

He breathed a sigh of relief as his head slumped forward. "Oh, thank God."

"But you should teach him manners!" I yanked his head back, clenching my jaw. "If he were my son, I'd be ashamed that he didn't honor my wishes!"

"What happens between my son and I is no concern of yours!"

I laughed without humor as I stepped closer, nose to nose. "Then you shouldn't have come after Brenna and me. Heed my words, warrior. From here on out, anyone who comes after her will die an excruciating death, including your son and you."

I turned and headed toward the door.

"This isn't over, Adan!" The chains rattled behind me, echoing off the stone walls.

"Oh, yes, it is." I turned toward the guards. "Clean him up, clothe him, and feed him. Make sure he is secured for the duration of the Blood Moon. Also, schedule guards around the clock. I'll deal with him once the Blood Moon is over."

"Aye!" they yelled in unison.

"This isn't over!" Darius screamed behind me, growing faint as I walked purposefully down the hallway, knowing I would take my time killing him when the time came. No one comes after Brenna and lives to tell the tale.

***

Brenna

"Knox, why did you do that?" Tears coursed down my cheeks as I knelt beside the bed where he lay in Magenta's spare room, guilt gripping my heart.

"You need to be protected, My Queen." He gazed into my eyes and smiled, and then his eyes slowly closed as his head lulled to the side.

"Brenna, stand back and let me work." Magenta approached with a basin of water and a washrag. When I looked up, her voice softened. "Please."

I nodded as I rose to my feet to make room for her.

Magenta nodded to a guard. "Help me with his shirt! Quickly!"

"Yes, mistress." The guard lifted his upper body while Magenta and I slid Knox's shirt down his muscular arms. The wound in his chest was gushing blood.

I wadded up his shirt and pressed it firmly on the wound. "Magenta, he'll bleed out if we don't do something now!"

"I'm trying to." Magenta nodded to the guard. "Remove her! Now!"

"Do not place your hands on her."

My head snapped up just as Adan walked through the door, wearing only a Pack robe. "Adan, he's dying—"

"Then let Magenta do what she must to save his life," he cut me off, holding his hand out to me. "She's a healer. If anyone can save him, it's her."

I nodded and watched as Magenta held her hands over Knox's wound and began to chant, "Sana, sana, sana...." Soon, the bleeding slowed, and the skin started to close as Magenta continued to chant. "Sana, sana, sana...."

After a while, Knox gasped, sitting straight up, his eyes wide. "I saw the Moon Goddess. She said it wasn't my time yet—"

Relief swept over me as tears filled my eyes.

Adan approached his side, smiling. "Thank God it isn't."

"You're okay now, Knox. But stay here and rest a while." Magenta sighed as she stepped to the side of his bed and adjusted his pillows, weaving a bit.

"Whoa, there." Adan caught her in his arms and carried her to a nearby chair. "Magenta, are you all right? I know healing Knox took a lot out of you—"

"I'm fine," she cut him off, obviously not wanting him to finish what he was saying. "I just need a few minutes to rest, then I have a wedding to perform." She glanced over at me and winked.

Adan shook his head as he scooped her into his arms and carried her to her bedroom as I followed. "No. I'll call Nikoa to marry Brenna and me—"

"There's no time." She sighed as he lay her on the bed. "Just give me a minute to rest, and we'll do the ceremony." Her eyebrows rose. "Say, in an hour?"

I looked outside, and it was still bright. "Magenta, rest. Adan will call Nikoa. I'm sure he'll do it. It's still early. The sun hasn't even started to set—"

"Brenna," Adan cut me off. "The effects of the Blood Moon can begin before the moon reaches its full height. I want you to stay in your room until we're married. I don't want to take a chance—"

"Nothing's going to happen to me." I bit mylower lip. "But if you think I'm letting you out of my sight tonight, thinkagain."

***

A/N: Yikes! So, what do you think will happen to Magenta?