Chapter 86: Challenge

Adan

"Oh, I'd be glad to do the honors and marry the two you if you like!" Darius was enjoying this way too much.

"So, it was you, after all. Huh, Mason?" I asked, ignoring Darius as I pulled Brenna behind me.

Mason shrugged. "What can I say? He pays better."

"And you, Dominic?" I let out a deep breath, shaking my head in disbelief. "Of all the people I know, you were the last person I thought would betray me."

A small smile curled his lips. "I'm sorry it came down to this, but I have to go where Laura goes."

"I see." I bit my lower lip, shaking my head. "I'm just glad my father wasn't here to see your betrayal."

Dominic's lips curled into a snarl. "He was a better king than you'll ever be!"

"Probably so." I nodded. "But there are a few things I have to know first."

"Which is?" Dominic asked.

I narrowed my eyes. "Did you have anything to do with his death last year?"

Dominic gritted his teeth but said nothing.

"That... would be me." Mason smiled, letting out a deep breath.

"Why? After all these years, why did you betray him like that? He trusted you!"

Mason lifted one shoulder. "It was time for a change."

"Well, I'm glad he isn't alive to see what you've both become." I raised my chin toward Darius. "To be in league with the likes of him."

Darius shrugged. "Adan, if you had just recognized me as the Alpha Supreme, this wouldn't have happened."

"Oh, I'm sure it would have." I tilted my head to the side. "So, Dominic, Mason, did you also aid in the attack on the High Claw Pack?"

Brenna's head snapped up.

"Brenna's Pack?" Mason chuckled.

Dominic let out a deep breath. "Anyone that wasn't with us was against us."

"So, you supported this idiot's claim as the Alpha Supreme, even though he was an outsider and new to this area?"

"Idiot?" Darius growled. "I have you know that in just a few short hours, I will be in control of this Pack, too." He clenched his fist at his side, while the other held a sword. "I am no idiot."

"I beg to differ." I laughed without humor. "So, if anyone stands against you, you'll just take over their Pack?"

He shrugged. "Sure! Why not? Once I take over a Pack, then I'll appoint the new Alpha, and they will answer to me."

"Slaves," I snarled. "You intend to create a nation of slaves."

Darius's smile faded as he looked straight into my eyes. "If you won't comply peacefully, then it's my right to unite this area and create my kingdom."

"Your right?" Brenna demanded, stepping around me. "It was your right to slaughter my Pack and my family?"

Darius narrowed his eyes. "Your father was one of my biggest opponents. If he would have complied, then I wouldn't have attacked. It's as simple as that."

"You unimaginable bastard!" Brenna started toward him, but I stopped her, pulling her behind me.

"Wow! Vicious!" Darius laughed as he turned toward me. "And since your father was one of the greatest Alphas in this land, I thought the rest of the Packs would fall like dominoes once he went down."