Chapter 85: One Step Closer

Brenna

Knock, knock, knock!

Someone was knocking on the door of my suite.

Then it dawned one me... today was my wedding day, the day that Adan claimed me as his Mate.

Quickly sliding out of bed, I left Adan sleeping as I padded through his suite to my dressing room, slipped into a silk robe, and then hurried to open the door. My Glam Squad had arrived early and was standing just outside the door.

Asana froze just outside the door, her broad smile fading. "We aren't too early, are we?"

I quickly shook my head, stepping back to open the door wide so they could get in. "Oh, heavens no! Come on in!"

Asana pulled me to the side but motioned toward the mini salon as she spoke to the ladies. "Go in and get set everything up. We'll be right there."

The ladies kept their professional demeanor but smiled and laughed as they did as they were told, clearly excited.

"Brenna, you're not having second thoughts. Are you?" Asana asked, her eyes filled with concern.

"No! Not at all." I sighed. "I'm fine. But let me take a shower first." There was no way I was going to tell her what Adan and I had been doing for half the night.

"Well," she said, linking her arms in mine as she led me toward the bathroom. "Take your time and relax and we'll be waiting for you in your salon. Oh! And don't forget to shave."

I rolled my eyes, walking into the bathroom. "I'll be right out." Before she could think of an excuse to come in, I quickly locked the door and then started running the water.

I quickly showered and shaved as she had said, letting the warm water soothe my nerves. When I came out, Asana greeted me with a glass of champagne. "Here. Drink this. It'll make you feel better."

"But it's like... I don't know... eight o'clock in the morning!"

"It's seven, dear," she corrected, shoving the drink into my hand. "Trust me, you're going to need it. Just...." She waved her hand dismissively in front of me. "Just drink it and pretend that it's five o'clock."

By five o'clock tonight, everything will be over. Probably sooner than that. We were getting married at ten, which didn't leave us much time.

I let out a deep breath as I took the drink and swallowed a few gulps, and she quickly refilled my glass. Asana was right. As a wolf, I couldn't get drunk due to our healing factor, but it would relax me. A few sips of champagne seemed to do the trick, taking the edge off.

Soon, I was enjoying myself and not overthinking our marriage and claiming Adan as my Mate. While we were making love the night before, my wolf wanted to claim him right then. But we had waited this long, so we could wait a little longer. Now, the time had come.

It would have been better if we had married last night and been done with it. But then again, this had been the moment I had waited for my whole life. I just wished my parents and my brother could have been here to share it with me. But I quickly pushed the thought aside, not wanting anything to ruin this day.

When I was buffed and polished with makeup applied and my hair done, Paige and Asana helped me into my dress. When I was ready, they turned me toward the mirror. My hair was done up, and Heidi had attached a small veil that hung down to the middle of my back.

"Shoes!" Asana snapped her fingers, and Paige bent down to help me with my white satin heels. I didn't want anything too high, and luckily, Asana had obliged. These were three inches and plenty high enough. There was no way I wanted to fall face-first down the aisle in front of the whole Pack and my Mate. Not today.

"You're ready!" Asana proclaimed and then looked at the clock. "And we're right on time!" She took my well-manicured hands and looked into my eyes. "Are you ready?"

I nodded, smiling. "I've been ready for this moment for a very long time." The moment that Adan would finally belong to me.

As we walked down the hallway, it was empty, and Asana rode down in the elevator as the others took the stairs. She smiled as she carried a bouquet of flowers for me. "Here. These are for you."

"Thank you... for everything." I smiled as I took the flowers, hoping Ember had used waterproof mascara on me.

"It's my pleasure." Asana pulled me in for an almost hug, careful not to wrinkle me. "You look fantastic. Don't worry about anything else. Just live in the moment and enjoy the day."

I nodded as the elevator door opened, and everything happened at once.

Outside the door, a line of people dressed in their finest formal attire created a path from the elevator to the auditorium across from the main dining hall.

"What's going on?" I asked Asana, nodding to people as we passed.

"Darling, it's not every day that the Alpha and the Luna marry." She moved away from me as I approached the huge wooden doors. Two wolf-shifters stood holding the doors, both in formal attire. I nodded to them when I was ready, and they swung open the doors as the music changed and started playing "A Thousand Years," as a woman I recognized in the Pack sang.

By then, the effects of the champagne had worn off, and my nerves started getting the better of me again. But when I looked down the aisle and saw Adan standing at the altar waiting for me, dressed in an elegant black tuxedo with an ascot tie, smiling at me from the other end of the aisle, I wasn't nervous at all.

Everyone stood, and I slowly walked down the aisle, knowing I was the luckiest woman on Earth. Just as the song said, each step I had taken to this point had brought me closer to my Mate and my destiny. When I reached Adan and took his hand, everything was right with the world.

"You look gorgeous." Tears filled his eyes, threatening to spill over as he blinked them back.

"So do you," I breathed. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

We turned to face Magenta, when there was a ruckus in the back of the church. There was fighting outside the doors and men screamed. Then the doors slammed open, and the guards outside were lying on the floor, dead, as everyone gasped.

"Well, well, well! Look what we have here!"

My head snapped up and Darius Snow was standing in the back of the church with Dominic and Mason at his side. "The Alpha and the Luna are getting married, and I wasn't invited! Imagine that!"

***

A/N: Yikes! Leave an emoji below to let me know what you think of this chapter!