Chapter 83: Betrayal and Trust

Adan

I pulled out my cell phone and called the cleaners and more guards to help as I headed down to the dungeon. Then I called the front office and told them not to let anyone on or off the premises and to consider Dominic, Dane, and Laura threats to the Pack.

Dominic had been my father's Beta for over sixty years and had become my Beta after my father's death. I thought I had killed the Alpha responsible, but could Dominic have been involved in my father's death, too, and I just never saw it? Different scenarios rushed through my mind as I realized what I had believed to be true may not have actually been so. My reality had just been turned upside down, and I no longer knew what to think. I ran down to the lower level through the hallway, heading toward the dungeon.

Two guards were standing outside.

"Open the door," I ordered.

"Aye!" they both said in unison, doing as I asked.

I walked in, and Mason was sitting on the cold, stone floor. He slowly looked up. "So, have you figured it out yet?"

"Mason, I'm so sorry—"

"Just let me go," he cut me off, rising to his feet as he looked into my eyes. "After all the years I was loyal to your father, this Pack, and then to you. Then you doubted me at the first accusation."

"I'm so sorry, Mason." I held my hand out to him, but he just stared at it, so I let it drop. "How can I make this up to you?"

"I want you to transfer me to Nikoa's Pack." He lifted his chin, narrowing his eyes. "Sure, I'm not a fighter. Never have been. Strategizing has always been my strong suit. But you called me a coward."

I nodded, slowly letting out a deep breath. "Mason, the way you were acting at the Snow Warrior Compound left me no other assumption."

He nodded, straightening his shoulders. "Then, if you think I'm such a coward, transfer me."

"Let's wait until after the Blood Moon to talk this out." I took a step closer. "Right now, I need your help—"

He laughed without humor, cutting me off. "Now you come to me for help?"

I clenched my jaw. "Mason, I apologized already. But I have a Pack to run. You can either prove your loyalty by assuming your duties again, or I'll call Nikoa right now, but I won't grovel. It's your choice. Sometimes as the Alpha, you have to make hard choices. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought Dominic would betrayed me."

"No?" Mason's eyebrows rose. "But you were so quick to assume I would."

I stared at him long and hard. "Until we can talk this out, you are relieved of your duties, and you will remain in your suite until after the Blood Moon."

Mason laughed without humor. "But you were just going to let me assume my duties a moment ago."

"Now, that deal is now off the table. Do not trifle with me." I turned toward the door. "Guards?"

Both guards appeared in the doorway.

"Take Mason to his suite and make sure he stays there for the duration of the Blood Moon." I stormed out. "And make sure guards are posted on him at all times."

"This isn't over! Your father would be rolling over in his grave right now!" Mason's voice carried down the hallway, reverberating off the stone walls as the guards carried him away, leaving me to wonder if he was involved, after all. But until I knew for sure, he wasn't going anywhere.

I needed time... a luxury I didn't have at present.

Brenna

Upon entering my suite, I hurried into the mini beauty salon and looked up Asana's number. She had left it on the styling station the last time she came.

"Asana here," she answered on the first ring.

"Asana, this is Brenna... Luna Brenna."

"Luna!" she chirped. "What can I do for you?"

I sat on the hydraulic chair and spun it toward the door. "I hate to ask this at the last minute, but do you have any wedding dresses available in my size?"

She screamed so loudly I had to hold the phone away from my ear. "I'll arrange for several selections!" Then she lowered her voice. "So, when's the big day?"

"Tomorrow morning."

She paused for a moment. "Not a problem. I'll be right over."

"Asana?"

"Yes?"

"Don't tell anyone, okay?"

There was a pause at the other end. "My lips are sealed."

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door. "It's me!" Asana chirped from the other side before I opened it.

I smiled, shaking my head as I opened the door. "Hi, Asana. Thank you for doing this on such short notice—"

"Not a problem, darling!" Asana barged in with a flourish, followed by my Glam Squad, carrying dresses and duffle bags containing their implements of destruction. Or, in this case, implements of construction.

A new girl walked in. She had long blonde hair and seemed sweet. A slight blush colored her cheeks as her eyes met mine.

"Oh! This is Journey Espinoza," Asana interjected. "She's your new nail tech, since Ember changed Packs."

My head snapped up. "She changed Packs?" I had Ember reassigned because of her spying on me for Hailey, but there was no need for her to change Packs. "Why?"

Asana lifted one shoulder as she led the way into the mini salon. "When Hailey left, Ember followed her." Then she turned and clapped her hands, the subject closed. "Okay, everyone! The Luna is marrying the Alpha in the morning, so we don't have much time!" Then she glanced over at me and stage-whispered, "But you didn't hear it from me!"

I laughed, shaking my head. "I'll call down for some dinner for all of us."

"No need." Asana motioned for the parade of dresses to start. "I already took care of it. Dinner will be here at any moment." Then Paige handed each of us a glass of champagne. "But in the meantime, it's time to celebrate! So, sit back, enjoy, and let us pamper you!"

I laughed. "Thank you, Asana. When I called you on such short notice, I didn't expect this."

"Honey," she said, topping off my glass, "this is my job. Should you need anything, day or night, just give me a call." Then she leaned in and whispered, "That's why I left you my number." She winked and then stepped away to oversee the spectacle.

Heidi and Journey got to work on my hair and nails while Paige brought in dress after dress for my inspection. Asana vetoed some of the dresses, and so did I. Then she brought in a beautiful dress with roses in the lace and a flesh-toned underdress. It had a scooped neckline, a low back, and was bare to the waist. Then it flared out slightly into a small, elegant train.

"That's the one." I smiled as Paige held it up, turning it around so I could see the back.

"I was hoping you'd choose that one!" Asana beamed, clasping her hands. "Let's try it on!"

She took my hand and escorted me away from Heidi and Journey to the fitting room, but I drew the line at her coming in to "help."

When I slipped on the dress, it flowed over my body like water, accenting my curves in just the right places. "You can come in now!"

Asana opened the door and sighed, dabbing at her eyes. "It's perfect! You're absolutely radiant! Tomorrow is going to be a day you'll never forget!"

"I sincerely hope so."

***

A/N: Would you like to read ahead? This story is complete on my Patreon. See you there!  https://www.patreon.com/user?u=82904554